2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Test drive 5speed xD

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Test drive 5speed xD

So like it says above, it was a 5speed black xD. My first impression was wow this is cramped inside, but after adjusting it was a little better. The car only had 13 miles when I started, and the shifter was really tight and stiff but felt good. Very easy to drive but my three passengers complained about the room inside the whole 3 mile trip. We had just tested a new xB so going from that to the xD was a big downsize. Car had good power and I liked the way it shifted. I think this could be an option in the future because of the good mileage but the overall interior size felt to small. As I drove it I was thinkin that I would love to slam it down on some rims with a loud exhaust and beat the crap out of it on a daily basis, it just felt sporty overall I give it 4 out of 5, its an improvement over the xA but not by much. Deep down I like all the Scion models.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was more favorably impressed driving the 5speed over the auto. I, too, was shocked at how cramped it felt compared to my Yaris LB! How could that be? They are the same chassis!

I also found it a struggle to use the front doors and impossible for no one but kids to use the back doors. This was not well executed. This Asian design probably accomodates small, lightweight Asians quite well--not us Amuricans.

The 5speed did feel better than my Yaris shifter. Of course, it really wasn't much faster as the xD is 350lbs heavier than my LB. BUT, it did handle a lot better than my LB which is a surprise since it is the same chassis. There may be slight tweeks on the springs and shocks--not sure.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you guys big in some sort of way? I had no trouble getting in and out of the xD when test driving it. Hell I can even fit in the cargo space with the door closed and seats up. People look at you funny when you clean the glass that way though haha.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seriously. I don't have a problem either and the only time I hear complaints is when I try to squeeze three adults in the back.

The xD is bigger than it appears once you get used to it. I moved my entire apartment (with the exception of a bookcase and my bed) using the 'D.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:32 PM

From my own experience.

Before I got mine I tested first the automatic and then manual. The first one seemed to be very slow. Slow accelaration and RPM where higher. Manual is more fun to drive and you don't get bored( at least I don't).
It is a tiny car inside. Strongly agree. I am not big 5'11'' 198pounds.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i'm trying to understand the cramped part.i'm 6'2" and am not cramped at all
Old 03-02-2008, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We Im 6'2" 260 lbs so yea its not the most comfortable, in fact its the least room of all the scions for head room for me. The tC I can adjust but the pillars block my view. I still like the car but Im used to my 1st gen xB.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:01 PM

Does anybody know then why does the driver's seat in the xd cannot adjusts down? That would make more room for the head and did not seem like driving a van or a bus.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought that would have been nice as well on the xD but I bet they didn't want to put it on there since the xD is the cheaper of the Scions right now. If you wanted that ability you'd need to get the xB, not sure if the tC does it though. I've actually wondered if its possible to take the new xB-2 seat and swap them. That would be freakin sweet
Old 03-02-2008, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the tC has a lever that will lower the back of the seat, and a **** that will lower the front of the seat. is that what you guys are talking about?
Old 03-02-2008, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:26 AM
SL Member

my boyfriend is a big guy (6'5") and he fits ok. it's a little tight, but he fits i'm 5'4" and i fit perfectly lol.

he has an xB1, there's a little more room in there for him.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:37 PM

The XB must be huge then, because since I got my XD all I've been saying is how big it felt inside compared to how small it looked outside. I'm only about 5'10" and 170, it fits me perfectly.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, I think the xD is a fine car. who would put 3 adults in the back of this car anyway. that's what Escalades are for. I have both a B1 and a D. The D is making my xB1 look cheap.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:37 PM
SL Member

Ive never put 3 people in the back of one. But when I used to be a salesman at my dealership I would demonstrate how damn roomy it was by fitting my 6'4" 220lb self in the back seet with thre front seat all the way back!

I always thought the xD was plenty roomy. Even comapred to its sibling the yaris. I have been in many of both.

The only problem I had with headroom on any scion is the tC. I always found my head hit the sunroof cover unless i adjusted the seat far enough back that the stearing wheel was at an uncomfy range. If they added a telescoping steering wheel i wouldnt have a problem in that one either
Old 03-09-2008, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rearview mirror also blocked my view and was all the way against the roof. We had 4 adults including myself and everyone complained, I think mainly because we just got out of a xB2. For myself it would be a good car, but my xB1 feels so much bigger. As for the cheapness of Scions in general they all are...
Old 03-09-2008, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XDminority
The XB must be huge then, because since I got my XD all I've been saying is how big it felt inside compared to how small it looked outside. I'm only about 5'10" and 170, it fits me perfectly.
The xB-2 is huge on the inside! When I sat in one for the heck of it before I got my car, I told myself that it felt too big for me lol.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 AM
SL Member

The first time I drove a 5spd I practically stalled it..The clutch is soo grabby..at least thats what I thought
Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that clutch still kills me. I stalled the car three times today alone.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JDMJim, maybe that's because you're an inexperienced-stick-shift-driver!! No, I'm totally joking, I've been driving stick for 12 years (I assume you longer Jim??) and I did the same thing TWICE at a test drive.

Quick Reply: Test drive 5speed xD