Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Test drive 5speed xD

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure if they're the same, but when my ex took a test drive in a manual tC, he nearly stalled a few times as well. What could be the issue with the stalling? I have no idea how to drive a manual either so don't be upset!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very funny guys. I do the same thing in the Euro cars. the clutch throw is very similar. I have't got the engagement point figured out. But for those cruising a D, go drive one of your friends xB1's and you'll see what I have to deal with. Even the B is hard to drive with so little throw.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i duno about the xd being cramped but i sort of get that feeling in it and i know why.

for me, in an xb2, when you sit inside, the dash is lower than eye level for me (im 6'1")... when you sit in the xd, since the dash (to me, at least) seems a little low, you look at the dash and not over it like you do in the xb.

the result is that you feel like the dash is closer to you. space wise, if i had to chose between the two, since the xd and xb are close in price, i'd go for the xb.

but if you dont do a lot of lugging stuff around, i'd go with the xd. considerably better gas milage is my main reason for saying this.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
very funny guys. I do the same thing in the Euro cars. the clutch throw is very similar. I have't got the engagement point figured out. But for those cruising a D, go drive one of your friends xB1's and you'll see what I have to deal with. Even the B is hard to drive with so little throw.
HMMM...good point. I know VW has pretty bad problems with that. You know who doesn't? BMW, they get pretty much everything right, but hey, they're BMW and cost 3X what a scion does.

Does anyone have a short-throw shifter in their xD? Does that help after getting out of first gear?

For me, the long stick seems a lot like a van or truck. I wonder how much shorter it is...
Old 04-03-2008, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
the result is that you feel like the dash is closer to you. space wise, if i had to chose between the two, since the xd and xb are close in price, i'd go for the xb.

but if you dont do a lot of lugging stuff around, i'd go with the xd. considerably better gas milage is my main reason for saying this.
I'm a Marine, and always lugging stuff around. BUT, the xD seats give me the flexibility I need. Plus i have a 4-cyl Saturn VUE that I fit a washer AND dryer in side by side,....NO JOKE!

Yeah, it gets a LOT better gas mileage, and it's not quite a van, not quite a wagon, or even close to a vagon, the xD is on it's own.

Plus, if you look at the aftermarket for the xD, it's a lot easier to drop $$$ on the xB. So overall price is better.