Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Thank God for the Tire Pressure monitor!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Thank God for the Tire Pressure monitor!

I hit a curb last night leaving a Starbucks. Parked and checked it out, everything looked ok. This afternoon, I drove the car out on my way to the 10 when the Tire Pressure light went on, immediately stopped at AM/PM and rear passenger side tire was flat! Put air in the tire and Tire Pressure light turned off, made sure to check for slow leak but everything is ok...guess hitting the curb blew some air out of the tire.

Whew! Without the Tire Pressure indicator, I would've gone on the Interstate and most likely had a blow-out! Standard equipment on the xD and saved my ___!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sadly I've hit curbs too, that I didn't see thanks to the big column, but never had the light go off. Though two weeks ago I did have my light go off but all my tires were above 30psi after being driven for oh.. 1hr. Filled them up anyways and haven't had it light up yet.

Though with your tire, wouldn't there be a tear or something if that happened? If it became flat after hitting a curb, something else has to be wrong other than it expelling air through some.. way.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
Sadly I've hit curbs too, that I didn't see thanks to the big column, but never had the light go off. Though two weeks ago I did have my light go off but all my tires were above 30psi after being driven for oh.. 1hr. Filled them up anyways and haven't had it light up yet.

Though with your tire, wouldn't there be a tear or something if that happened? If it became flat after hitting a curb, something else has to be wrong other than it expelling air through some.. way.
I thought the same thing about a tear either on the tread or worse, the sidewall. I parked my car at sister's house for about 3 hours, visually checked the tire and it looked fine. Started the car, no indicator light. Best indication of damage will be in the morning, if its flat then I'll have to get a new tire. Don't think tires are part of the warranty.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No they qualify as wear'n'tear stuff. Wish I had an excuse (and money!) to get new tires+rims lol. Oh well. Maybe in a year I will.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
No they qualify as wear'n'tear stuff. Wish I had an excuse (and money!) to get new tires+rims lol. Oh well. Maybe in a year I will.
Tire was flat this morning. Took out the warranty manual and tires aren't covered by Scion. Tires have separate warranty and they are Bridgestones...road hazard isn't covered! Advised by Bridgestone to go to authorized dealer to have tire inspected ASAP for safety. Went to Firestone/Bridgestone store and tire is shot- sidewall damage. Have to wait 3 days for tire, its a new brand and they have to special order it; decided to buy Road Hazard for all 4 tires and will get big discount on the new tire- estimated cost is $169!
Old 10-23-2007, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy thats a lot for a stupid tire That and its special order.. I hope I don't hurt my tires soon! On my last car I went to my local America's Tire Co. and the wheels came with coverage for damage and all that kinda stuff that was in their repair zone. It was nice to have but never had an issue with my tires.

Sad that Scion went with tires that you have to special order. Could it be that its a new size thats never been out before or they just felt like changing it up for fun? No idea!