2008-2010 [ZSP110]

For those driving a manual xD.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah me too
but my dad told me push on the clutch once then let go and do it again then change to reverse
he said it happen to alot of Toyota car like his truck
Old 08-01-2008, 03:52 AM
SL Member

i have noticed that if you have your wheel turned all the way to the left or the right, then it will clunk a bit when you put it in rev. just turn the wheel and it doesnt do it.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:15 PM
SL Member

My biggest complaint with the 5-speed and reverse is not so much getting it into reverse, but the overly-loud whine it makes as you move backwards. On most other sticks I've driven, you don't really get a loud whine unless you backup overly fast, but in my xd, you hear it no matter how slow you backup. It is so loud that people standing nearby will turn and look at the car, the sound draws their attention. That might be OK for attracting attention to the car, but it can't be that great for the reverse gearing...

My other peeve with the manual is starting in 1st from a dead stop - the engine RPM always wants to drop to almost nothing when you pull out, even when revving the engine up before letting the cluch out. I stall the engine WAY too many times starting out in this car, and I've driven a ton of manual cars (I HATE automatic transmissions, have never and will never buy an auto in my cars!), and never had a stalling issue this bad as I have with the xD. Of course, the longer I've driven it, the better I've gotten in avoiding it, but that's only because I've had to take extra effort compensating for it. I guarrantee that anyone who has never driven my car will stall it out more than once the first time they try to drive it...

Anyone else notice either of these issues in their 'D?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The reverse whine seems to be a standard "feature" on most Toyota vehicles. My Supra had the whine as dd my friend's Solara. It's a bit annoying, but not too bad.

As for the stalling, I've only stalled a few times (my driveway is very steep...). It's likely the electronic throttle system. There isn't a mechanical linkage between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body anymore; it's electronic. There is a small amount of freeplay before the engine will actually rev. It took me some time to get used to it in the xD (other cars are also electronic tb, but auto).

So far, I'm quite impressed with the xD. It looks like it is slow and handles horribly, but it has already surpassed all of my expectations.

To those that test drove it and thought it doesn't have enough power:
Once you break it in, you actually start to feel the torque =] We're about 800 miles in with very aggressive driving and it feels better each day.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I asked my hubby recently about the "crunch" when I go into reverse. He said it's because reverse is not a synchronized gear--what ever that means-lol.
I also have the loud whine when backing up and I do stall out the engine quite often. It seems that I have to give a little more gas than I'm used to when taking off. I've driven manuals for 25 yrs.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, and yesterday I was making a hard right turn into a parking place and a guy looked at me really weird. I'm thinking there was some sort of noise, but I didn't hear it (radio on).
Old 08-08-2008, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe you squealed your tires?

I just put in some Redline MTL full synthetic trans fluid and it sounds better, but not gone.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ddc1965
I asked my hubby recently about the "crunch" when I go into reverse. He said it's because reverse is not a synchronized gear--what ever that means-lol.
I also have the loud whine when backing up and I do stall out the engine quite often. It seems that I have to give a little more gas than I'm used to when taking off. I've driven manuals for 25 yrs.
i could be wrong about this as it applies to the xD, but on some cars, reverse is a different and usually higher ratio than first. i havent seen the xDs gear ratios, so i am not sure about this. that could be what is requiring a little more gas than first. the whining is totally normal. i forget what causes it, but from what i remember it has something to do with the gear spinning the other direction than all of the other moving parts in the tranny and having an idler gear.

and reverse not being syncronized means that the teeth on the gear are not automatically lined up with the teeth on the layshaft like they are with all of your forward gears:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission3.htm

scroll down and there is a section on syncros.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool link. Thanks
Old 08-09-2008, 03:23 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
ive been able to calm that 'thud' it makes by doing what the manual says to let the clutch out momentarily before putting into reverse, but after letting the clutch out, put it up into 1st, then down into reverse. seems to work real well to line everything up so it drops in easier.
x2!!!! i do the same thing i had an xA and it did the same noise, they told me that scion didn't have scrincronizers on the reverse gear...for me it makes sense, the noise