Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

The UK keeps AWD xD to themselfs???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:14 AM

Question The UK keeps AWD xD to themselfs???

So out of pure boardom I was looking around and found this.
http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyo...R_URBANCRUISER

So they offer a AWD xD as we know it and ---
Fuel economy (93/116/EEC)(Standard) Euro 5
Fuel economy combined
(l/100km /mpg) 5.5 /51.36 mpg
50mpg? WHY NOT IN THE US???CO2 mass emission (combined)129 (g/km)

So if that is what they got then the Scion xD can be turned into a drifting machine...
Does anyone want to try this out? Would it be worth it?
What do you think of this and why are we not getting this model over here??
Old 02-04-2011, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its also a 1.4 Diesel engine....
Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you'd be better off buying and modding a Suzuki SX4 hatch before that can be afforded
Old 02-04-2011, 03:40 AM

There is a 1.33 VVT-i petrol AWD as well. So in the 2WD and AWD they have both Petrol and Diesel models. I would like to see that here regardless of the size of engine. I see Scion/Toyota getting better sales for something with better gas mileage then there Yaris or Prius. The tuning would end up making it a drifting car just because they can and I can see that getting more people wanting to push RWD into the tC...

Diesel or petrol, either way they claim it’s getting 50mpg. If that’s the case, they why not sell it in the US, make a killing in sales and watch their stock increase from that in the US market?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 AM

I will agree that 17,775 euro's/pounds is $23,480.78 USD, however it could work. For that price and mpg it would be something that a lot of people would consider. Cars that run in that price range at most only get 30mpg. The Suzuki SX4 4WD only gets 30mpg on the HW. Toyota is saying that this Urban Cruiser is getting 50mpg. Think of how many people got out of there gas guzzling SUV's to get something that was more fuel friendly... I am sure that would make them feel a lot better about buying something like that.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI, that's the same turbodiesel that Toyota sells to BMW for the Mini Cooper in Europe. They always get cooler options than we do. Get used to it.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:35 AM

Getting used to something and facing the Facts are two different things. I face that fact that we don't have it. I don't like how they choose to sell a car in the US that only gets 30mpg when they can sell a 50mpg car and make not just them feel good about but watch many other people here feel happy about it. I'll always hate the somewhere over there is a better spec model of my car or gets a better package then I can get here. But I would like to see it come here. Also most people only are aware of what is marketed in there region of the world. Like how in the US the Ford Fusion is a car but in the UK it’s a small SUV getting 42mpg.
It all boils down to one true thing about marketing. What people are asking for?

That is why car companies are asking to have you fill out survey and have a small section to fill in your comets in.

This is how someone can sway for a poll to get something here that is not. If enough people want something of the same thing they will try to accommodate but bringing out something that is over there first.

Or at least that is how I understood how this sort of thing should work.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Defiant7
I will agree that 17,775 euro's/pounds is $23,480.78 USD, however it could work. For that price and mpg it would be something that a lot of people would consider. Cars that run in that price range at most only get 30mpg. The Suzuki SX4 4WD only gets 30mpg on the HW. Toyota is saying that this Urban Cruiser is getting 50mpg. Think of how many people got out of there gas guzzling SUV's to get something that was more fuel friendly... I am sure that would make them feel a lot better about buying something like that.

30 mpg? no different than my xD is doing right now. 25mpg...right now. I sorta regret not getting the SX4. So many things I could do with it that I can;t do with the xD
Old 02-05-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by JDMJim
30 mpg? no different than my xD is doing right now. 25mpg...right now. I sorta regret not getting the SX4. So many things I could do with it that I can;t do with the xD
Yes 30mpg is what they are getting for the SX4 and the xD is rated to be getting 33 mpg. The Toyota Urban Cruiser the UK's xD is getting 50mpg in both 2WD & AWD. And if anyone wanted they were working on the SX4T (turbo) that was AWD but the Price was up there-$20k range.

Yes there is any number of cars to suit what is already out there. If someone were looking into drifting then the UK's Urban Cruiser would be a was that the Scion xD would get a chance to do that or even a better rally car. The SX4 AWD can be a rally car or converted to drifting. For the tC to be a drifter they had to look at Japan for a car with the same chas to allow them to make it into the drifter we know today.

The options are out there for us to find and make our own, or to find something better. I was just surprised that 50mpg xD was out there and yet the motor companies are saying that they are looking to find ways to improve MPG in the States. So if they are looking for ways to improve mpg but seem to have the answer in other parts of the world then are we doing something wrong over here?

So maybe I should have titled this topic why is it that we have such poor mpg vs the UK...?
Old 02-05-2011, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea. i fail to believe the the Euro xD in AWD gets better gas mileage. maybe 50Kpg? or is it kpl??
Old 02-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

European estimates and US estimates on mpg are always very askew. Example, the 500 is well over 40 mpg in Europe but barely hits above 30 in the US
Old 02-05-2011, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's cause the UK uses the imperial gallon, not the same as the US gallon.

imperial (UK) gallon=4.54609 liters
US liquid gallon=3.785411784 litres

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon

More fuel, more miles per gallon, higher mpg. Tricky UK advertising eh? If you were to convert the UK numbers over to US gallons, they'd be the same as our numbers.

Tho I admit, I would love the AWD version as well as diesel here. Other than that they got nothing we dont have.

Last edited by Sefi; 02-05-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was just about to make this post...

what he said

Originally Posted by Sefi
That's cause the UK uses the imperial gallon, not the same as the US gallon.

imperial (UK) gallon=4.54609 liters
US liquid gallon=3.785411784 litres

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon

More fuel, more miles per gallon, higher mpg. Tricky UK advertising eh? If you were to convert the UK numbers over to US gallons, they'd be the same as our numbers.

Tho I admit, I would love the AWD version as well as diesel here. Other than that they got nothing we dont have.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xDTool
I was just about to make this post...

what he said
*cough*

SHE

*cough*
Old 02-06-2011, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and now everythings clear. the cars get the same mileage for the most part.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you guys/gals are missing the obvious thing... the AWD Urban Cruiser is turbodiesel. That's why it gets better fuel economy. Yes, the imperial gallon is larger than ours, and their testing procedure is different... but it will get better fuel economy with the turbodiesel no matter what.

There are a few reasons they won't bring it over here. Number one: American, as a whole, do not buy diesel cars. Take it from me... the xD is about my 12th car, and is my FIRST gasoline powered car. I have driven diesels since I was 16, and most Americans don't know squat about them.

The number two reason: Our emission testing system is designed to reduce NOx emissions, which diesels generally produce more of (since only the newest catalytic converter technology has been able to address on diesel engines), whereas European emission testing is designed to reduce carbon emissions, which gasoline engines tend to produce more of.

The most modern NOx control systems incorporate urea injection just before a very expensive catalytic converter. This dramatically reduces NOx emissions in diesels. By the way, the urea is basically cow ____. For more info, do a search on AdBlue or Bluetec.

VW is not doing us any favors right now. They are sending over diesels that perform very well when they are new, but tend to have VERY expensive problems and very poor state side dealership support. Many of them require engine oils that often are not even available at VW dealerships. My 2003 Golf TDI would have cost approximately $5,000 in non-scheduled repairs in the 6 years and 145,000 miles I owned it. I did all the work myself, so it only cost a fraction of that. Mine was not particularly troublesome, either. VW TDIs have a fanatically loyal following, but are a huge blemish on the reputation of modern diesel engines.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
and now everythings clear. the cars get the same mileage for the most part.
No, they don't. The COMBINED fuel economy (city/hwy average) is 57.65 MPG UK. Converted to US gallons, that is 48 MPG. Again, that is not the highway rating, but an average based on some city and some highway style driving.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it actual AWD or FWD based faux-awd like in the matrix(the rears only get power when there is slip detected)?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on the other hand, THAT fact might be a regional fact. Cuz there are alot of these

in my area. the college is loaded with them in the morning. I suppose the country bumpkins taking agriculture classes. With cars, yea, maybe not so much, but peeps are buying diesel in the form of trucks. So where I live, diesel IS popular
Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

True... diesel trucks are popular... but they are in a whole different EPA emissions class, as well as lower safety standards, but that's a different story. Americans tend to think that diesels are only for trucks.

Quick Reply: The UK keeps AWD xD to themselfs???