Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

The UK keeps AWD xD to themselfs???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats bogus too. trucks drive on the same roads passenger cars use. Of course, the guys around here don't have emmissions checks where they live
Old 02-07-2011, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

It is not a turbodiesel. Just a regular diesel without turbo. And the AWD is not full time. It works til you get to around 30 mph then the rear wheels cut out.

This guy tests it and cant even get out of a small sandy area.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irLYrFauJpM&feature=fvsr
Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so same as yours.......har har!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by JDMJim
so same as yours.......har har!
That was one time. Geez I will never live that down

Old 02-09-2011, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheJonas53
It is not a turbodiesel. Just a regular diesel without turbo.
Incorrect.

The oil-burning Urban Cruiser uses Toyota's 1ND-TV engine, and it is turbocharged. It uses a variable geometry turbocharger (VNT), just like most modern diesels. Non-turbo diesel engines are pretty much a thing of the past as far as automotive engines are concerned. There are some produced, but mainly for third world countries where they want more simplicity.

The engine is common-rail injected, single cam (common on turbodiesels... four valve per cylinder engines are usually only used on TD engines in order to place the injector smack dab in the middle of the combustion chamber), and has a chain drive (take THAT, VW!). The engine produces approximately 90 HP and sustains it maximum torque of 140 ft/lb all the way from 1,800 to 3,000 RPM.

The numbers may not look all that impressive, but it is only a 1.4L engine.

By the way, this engine is also used in the Yaris and the iQ, as well as the Mini Cooper (and other smallish Toyota cars).
Old 02-09-2011, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And the AWD is not full time. It works til you get to around 30 mph then the rear wheels cut out.
I am not familiar with their AWD system, but I think what he was describing is not AWD cutting out over 30 MPH, but the center diff. lock cutting out over 30 MPH. Audi has had similar diff. locks on some of their cars dating back to the 80s. The diff. lock on the Audi eliminated any difference between rotation of the front vs. rear axle. They also had a second mode that also locked the rear diff. solid. Trust me, you don't want to drive around like that. Great for getting un-stuck or revving up to 3,000 RPM and dropping the clutch while on gravel. The car would take off like a rocket. I learned to drive in a turbo Audi 5000.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:22 AM

When I put this post up, it was all based on the models of what they are offering from there UK web site. A diesel and petrol AWD and 2WD. They are NOT offering a turbo diesel at all. Looking at the engine there is a small heat shield that covers the exhaust header, too small to cover a turbo and looking at it more there is no way a turbo that small is built to put in a car.(see link below and look at engines) Toyota may have offered a turbo diesel, but not in the urban cruiser. This info is coming from the Toyota UK sight. As for whether or not they are using a different standard for measuring there MPG and how it compares to how we measure MPG here is still a question that needs to be answered.

Yes there is an AWD not some POS system. They call it the intelligent all-wheel-drive system that uses anti-skid technology and seems to be quite well built.
http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyo...yota_1024_root (SEE PAGE FOR MORE DETAILS)

As for their MPG, I have found out that they are using a Stop and Start system that used to stop the car from using gas when at a stop and when you re-engage the car to go your engine starts up again with not no power loss or delay.

All and all if they are getting better MPG, it’s about time someone gets a hold of Toyota and ask them WHY NOT HERE?

This new technology should be something that we get to enjoy over here if everyone is so worried about gas and getting the best use out of it.

Go on and look,

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyo...ontent&sr=Mall

Old 02-09-2011, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

apologies , posted from my phone, though i likely wouldnt have realized either way

Originally Posted by Sefi
*cough*

SHE

*cough*
Old 02-09-2011, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I was pretty sure that I read in a couple places saying that the diesel was non turbo. Even with it being a 1.4L the turbo would make the car put out more than 90 hp. Thats about stock for an xA or xB with the 1.5L.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was pretty sure that I read in a couple places saying that the diesel was non turbo. Even with it being a 1.4L the turbo would make the car put out more than 90 hp. Thats about stock for an xA or xB with the 1.5L.
Horsepower = torque X rpm / 5252

diesel torque curve throws off the hp readings since its peak torque is in the lower rpm ranges where a gas's is in the higher ranges negating more of the divider.

140 torque at 2500 rpms is making 67hp
80 torque at 4400 rpms is making 67hp
Old 02-10-2011, 01:30 AM

The 1.33 Petrol AWD is making 74kW(99.23HP) with 132TQ where the Diesel AWD is making 66kW(88.5HP) with 202TQ. There is no turbo at all in this Urban Cruiser. But like a SX4 I am sure you can add a turbo to it and make more power. But they do not sell a stock turbo model.
(Found this at http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=21682)
1) - UK gallons are bigger than silly little US gallons:
1 UK Imperial Gallon = 4.55 litres
1 US Liquid Gallon = 3.79 litres
2) - UK mpg figures will be calculated using the EU's methods, the US mpg figures will be calculated using the EPS's methods.

They are different, and the different cycles (Urban, Extra-Urban and Combined for the EU, City and Highway for the EPA) don't directly compare.

Neither sets of figures actually replicate real-world driving, so they are best used as a guideline to compare against other vehicles, rather than used as an actual indicator of fuel efficiency.

The lack of accuracy in the mpg figures is compounded by other factors such as; driving with aircon on, roof/windows up/down, different tyres, ambient temperature, road surface - things which affect the rolling resistance and drag of the car, and the work load on the engine.

Fuel in the USA and UK is also different, and not only that, but different fuels give different efficiencies.

Comparative consuptions for the Elise 111R: (mpl = miles per litre)
EU Urban Cycle: 23.3mpg* = 5.1 mpl
EU Extra Urban Cycle: 41.4mpg* = 9.1 mpl
EU Combined Cycle: 32.1mpg* = 7.1 mpl

US City cycle: 23mpg** = 6.1 mpl
US Highway cycle: 27mpg** = 7.1 mpl

This was supported by www.gassavers.org stating 35.04 MPG (US) which is 42.1 MPG (Imperial)

So in the end they only have a AWD xD that is not sold here.
I tried to do the math to see if it all equals out, but I am sure that I have just gotten so upset with this that my answer of there Urban Cruiser getting 44 US-MPG vs. our xD getting 33 US-MPG.

So there is the difference in the MPG. So the UK has a bigger gallon then what we use. Anyone else think we need to go to the metric system?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bet a turbo SX4 is alot more fun than a turbo xD/Urban Cruiser. dollar for dollar
Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by JDMJim
i bet a turbo SX4 is alot more fun than a turbo xD/Urban Cruiser. dollar for dollar
We should put that to the test in some kind of a challenge that is sponsored by modified mag. or something. Like how they do the Evo’s vs. the STI’s. Maybe the new big battles should be Scion vs. Suzuki...???...

That is the only way anyone can say without any questions what is better. Two teams, a budget build, then let loose on the tracks(on and off road). A set of tests, and, have the US Top Gear crew host it. That would make my day.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My last turbodiesel was a 2003 VW Golf. It was 1.9 liters and turbocharged (17 PSI) and put out 90 horsepower. 90 horsepower out of a 1.4 turbodiesel is quite high output. A nonturbo, if they made one, would be more like 60 horsepower.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Trust me -- the guy who knows, drives, and works on diesel cars -- the Urban Cruiser uses a turbocharged diesel. Pretty much every diesel is turbocharged nowadays. In countries where they are common, they may omit the word "turbo" like we omit the word "unleaded" now that pretty much all gasoline is unleaded.

If the Urban Cruiser has a normally aspirated diesel that pits out 90hp, then it is pretty bad that the Corolla and the Mini Cooper that use turbocharged version of the same engine also put out 90hp. For those who might fact-check (which doesn't seem common in this crowd), the newest version of the mini uses a 1.6L Peugeot turbodiesel.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not a Urban Cruiser but back in the day I had a 85 toyota truck with an 2LT - turbo diesel. Got 30mpg constantly - 85hp. Great engine wish I still had the truck.Truck was underpowered going up hills but a great cruiser. I wish Toyota would bring the diesel back to the states. I would be one of the first in line for one.