What's your next mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xD_kidd91
Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
nightshade the side mirror turn signals (to match the black of the body, not completely dark, but enough to blend it in). under car kit (3 million color one), gauge color change (already did shifter to blue), change interior trim to this paint color: Duplicolor Intense Blue Pearl = T0359, some decals on the sides, maybe another LED kit in the "hatch" area (on the sub box or around it). a few tossing around. i'd like to get that scion navigation/dvd thing, but it costs WAY too much.
wouldnt look bad

well, i might not nightshade the side turn signals....

i am a firefighter, and i'd like to put lights in there for my emergency responses. i think it would look wicked cool!!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I've nightshaded the turn signals and tail lights... The turn signals are a little too dark though, the LED isn't birght enough to shine thru when you use enough to just blend it in...
Old 07-15-2009, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is no eyelids yet. exept I believe theres one from japan which im not to sure about but over all your paying $230 nd doesnt come painted.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I kind of meant just custom ones, like spray on. I'd rather do an hour of work and pay $20 than spending $200
Old 07-16-2009, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I smoked my turn signals nd reverse lights with vynil.. and at night. the light shines through just as strong
Old 07-16-2009, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and at night. the light shines through just as strong
No it doesn't.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Name:  WorcNightShots007.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  71.1 KB
Name:  WorcNightShots017.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  70.7 KB
Nite-shade at night on the tails^^^

I did the side markers too and agree with DeathMachine on the tint though, looks good tinted, but barely gets any light out of it...

as for my next mod, custom carbon fiber parts... I wanna do a rear bumper center piece/diffuser, CF spoiler accent, after that I will save up some more $$ and get a Carbon Fiber overlay for the front bumper and have my sideskirts overlaid in CF...

New set of wheels, install my turbo, get a custom made sub enclosure.... ah... the list goes on forever...
Old 07-16-2009, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
and at night. the light shines through just as strong
No it doesn't.
quoting for truth. I have mine tinted as well, and although it shines bright and you can still clearly see the colors, it's not as bright, and we're still going to get tickets from any cop who wants to write out all the tickets he can. Hell, I even made sure not to tint my reverse light because I know how dumb people can be and was worried it wouldn't be bright enough with tint over it
Old 07-16-2009, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

See, thats the one thing I don't like... If I'm in an area with no lighting, I can't see when I go into reverse at night... It really sucks! The NiteShade on the tail lights looks GREAT, especially on a black xD, but the light just isn't bright enough...

Although I have had people comment well on my NiteShade job, cause during the day the brake lights can still be seen.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not trying to be an a-hole about it... but just because you can see the light doesn't mean it is just as visible. The lights are there as a notice/warning to other drivers. If your lights are not as visible as they could be, it might cut down someone's reaction time a bit, which could be enough to cause an accident. Maybe it is not 100% your fault... maybe the other driver was too close or was multitasking... but your tint may add to the other variables which caused the accident. Now, pointing fingers is one thing... being laid up in the hospital or burying a loved one is a completely different thing.

I'll go a step further... I think red turn signals are a danger to the public. It has been proven that amber turn signals are far more noticeable than red. In many countries, it is mandatory that turn signals be amber. Because many of us (stupid Americans) think that amber turn signals look "dumb", many foreign car companies make red turn signals just for the US market. It really amazes me.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mcbrew it's federal law that front turn signals have to be amber and rear ones have to be either amber or red. The thing is they don't have regulations (I hope, fingers crossed!) on external rear view mirror turn signals.

Btw, I have my rear lamps tinted out, but I want you guys to know in almost all municipalities it is illegal to have them altered in any way. You may only replace your bulbs with the exact kind the manufacturer intended for, or you may replace the whole assembly with a DOT APPROVED! one. If you are unsure if it's DOT approved, it is illegal.

169.57 VEHICLE SIGNALS. Subd. 4.Alteration of stop lamp prohibited.
"...a person may not alter the stop lamp by the addition of an overlay or other device, or install a replacement lens, if the alteration or installation alters or obscures any portion of the lamp or affects the intensity of light emitted."

So making it brighter, or darker, is completely illegal and be prepared to get a ticket.

If any Minnesotans want to read up on this stuff go here https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=169 and I'm sure any other state has this stuff published on their websites as well.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

garson everything. VIP ing is my way.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by SKYSTHALIMIT
garson everything. VIP ing is my way.
I want to see.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rear ones have to be either amber or red.
I know. Still, it has been proven that amber turn signals are safer. Red should not be used as a turn signal. It is legal, but I think it should not be... and a lot of other countries agree with me on that one.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion

Nite-shade at night on the tails^^^

I did the side markers too and agree with DeathMachine on the tint though, looks good tinted, but barely gets any light out of it...

as for my next mod, custom carbon fiber parts... I wanna do a rear bumper center piece/diffuser, CF spoiler accent, after that I will save up some more $$ and get a Carbon Fiber overlay for the front bumper and have my sideskirts overlaid in CF...

New set of wheels, install my turbo, get a custom made sub enclosure.... ah... the list goes on forever...
Looking good! Buy my turbo parts in the classifieds...
Old 07-17-2009, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

why dont u just finish the turbo install??? use a 1zz manifold... and just get a custom downpipe made
Old 07-17-2009, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
Looking good! Buy my turbo parts in the classifieds...
Yelo I followed your turbo journey from start to end, if you had the manifold I would have already of bought it from you...

unfortunately without the manifold, all of your parts become useless to me, well maybe not so much on the intercooler, but I already have one... and a BOV... and a turbo... your manifolds location was specific, if I recall correctly, it made it so the turbo sits where the battery is, without that exact manifold all of your piping is useless, as I would need to use that manifold to connect the piping... it sucks really but unless the manifold goes into production, none of your parts will work for me...
Old 07-18-2009, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, but tinting the tailights shouldn't affect the "LED" brake light as the third in upper back window. that's bright enough to grab anyone's attention.

oh, and i only tinted the "red" part of my tailight. painter taped the turn signal and back-up light.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just drained the factory gearbox lube and filled it with Red Line MTL. I only took it for a short ride, but it seems to go into gear a lot smoother... especially on the downshifts. I used Red Line MTL in my Golf with similar results... but it seems to be more noticeable in the xD.

I also picked up five quarts of Red Line 0w20 (polyol ester-based synthetic) for my next oil change... which probably won't be for another 5,000 miles or so, depending on oil analysis. I'll be sending a sample to Blackstone Labs when I get to 7,500 on the current oil (Mobil1 0w20).
Old 07-28-2009, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My next mods are subbox leather pillars and headliner black roof an front bumper.

Next year Im throwing around Bags or Turbo. Im thinkig turbo

Quick Reply: What's your next mod?