Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

xD Rear Sway Bar ......

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xD Rear Sway Bar ......

I currently have a rear sway on my Yaris LB....would it work on and xD? It seems it would since it's the same chassis as the Yaris LB but a dealer said "no" it was a different part.

Was he packing me to sell me another one or is that the truth?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just checked TRD Sparks for the Yaris sedan and xD and it looks like the part numbers are the same. Though I would email TRD Sparks and just double check to make sure

http://www.trdsparks.com

Personally I wouldn't believe the dealer because they want you to buy more stuff so they more monies.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I checked all those numbers and they are the same for both Yaris to the xD. That breaks my heart because guess who told me they were different?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No idea. Who? Don't keep me in such suspense!
Old 11-18-2007, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 99% positive that, save maybe springs and shocks, the Yaris and xD have completely identical suspension. Hell, the 5-door Yaris in most other countries is even offered with the 1.8L (and AWD.. and CVT.. why don't we get the cool stuff?!).

Anyway, besides parts of the interior and the exterior, the yaris and xd are identical. Hell, I'm pretty sure everything under the chassis save the tires is identical. It's easy to fool people, eh?

On the lighter side, this should make performance parts much cheaper, since the frame/suspension is distributed over so many different cars, all identical.

EDIT: A few sites note a "wider axle" and "wider suspension placement" than the Yaris, but nothing backs that up... It would make sense to alter a bit, since the xD chassis is a bit wider and longer, but if this is true, it's possible that the sway bar locations could be off by an inch or so. I wish I could find more information on this, since some countries get the "yaris" 5 door, and some get the "ist" 5 door, which is the xD body. Regardless, there are still plenty of cars out there based off the Yaris and xD platforms if they are different. I wonder if an aftermarket manuf. would know more.. one or two seem to follow these posts. Any info?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've driven an xD (auto) twice and it handles a lot better than my Yaris LB. I think it has a slightly lower center of gravity and there may be different spring shock rates as it doesn't have the body roll my LB has.

I think the xD with a rear sway still will not handle as well as my '05 xB which actually handled very well.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, my stock xa is a lot of fun. i think a lot has to do with the weight of the old xa/xb's. not to say that these could be turned into sports cars, but i could see my xa being a lot of fun with minor suspension bolt-ons.

The Yaris 2-dr i test drove did seem to lean noticeably more than the xd i drove, but the yaris was a lot more comfortable.