Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

xD versus Honda Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:03 AM

Default xD versus Honda Fit

I did a search on this and came up with a list of threads that had nothing to do with what I searched for...soo..

I am cross-shopping these two cars and I've test driven the Fit so far and looked at the xD (didn't get a chance to drive it yet)

Here is what I came up with.

The Fit has amazing, amazingly good handling out of the box and one of the best shifters I've ever used. I like the interior WAY more than the xD, the dashboard and the functionality of the magic seats.

BUT... I cannot stand how the Fit looks on the outside.

LOVE the looks of the xD but the interior is meh.. especially compared with the Fit and I know from the 10 million hours of research I've done the handling and overall driving experience is not going to equal it.

Bottom line, I don't live on a race track. I had a 1st gen xB 5 speed a couple of years ago and I was pretty satisfied with the stock handling and I didn't even really find the engine underpowered, it was sufficient for my purposes.

So, I know I would more than likely be OK with the xD's handling etc and I would much rather deal with "pure pricing" than a snotty Honda dealer with a hot car that they can't keep in inventory, but I can't help but feel like I'd be settling. I was truly blown away by how fun to drive the Fit was and I am almost afraid to drive the xD because I know it's going to be disappointing by comparison. I also don't have $2k lying around for suspension upgrades and tires to make the xD closer to the Fit handling wise etc.

Just looking for some thoughts on this before I decide. I get the feeling I would miss the Fit's snappy shifter and slot car handling with the xD but I also don't want to cringe every time I look at the outside of the Fit.

I know the next obvious thing to do is test drive the xD, I'm still looking for thoughts on this though, especially from people who have DRIVEN both of these cars. Thanks.

Driving the Fit is like a guilty pleasure. It's fun as hell, but the damn thing looks like a Hello Kitty Japanese girls car. LOL

Sigh...
Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My sister got a Fit and I have the xD. Personally I like the xD much more because the interior does not feel as cheap, its a bit quieter, and not as bumpy of a ride because of the short wheel base.

Have you seen the images for the Fit for 09? I think it looks awesome, though afraid that Honda got even more cheap for the interior on that

Anyways, the xD has more options stock than the Fit does hands down. You can't fold the seats completely flat in the xD (if you can lemme know! ) but I think the ride is more comfortable than the Fit.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 PM

The back seats fold flat. Slide the back seats all the way back then fold them forward and bingo flat as the Fits. There is a video somewhere in one of the posts here that shows how, I can't find it. The xD's rear floor isn't as low as the fits so the fit has more room. The fit has it's gas tank under the passengers seat instead of the backseat on the xD so you gain the depth of the gas tank.

I chose the xD over the Fit for several reasons.

1. I wanted a manual, which was hard to find in the Fit....especially if you didn't want silver and I didn't.
2. To me the Fit didn't have a relaxing feel at highway speeds (70+). Very buzzy and the steering was twitchy. I also didn't like the tracking at highway speeds, I will say the the xD was better in my opinion but still not great.
3. I felt like I had a better view of what was ahead of me in the xD. Both cars have blind spots in the back, the xD's are more pronounced.
4. The larger engine in the xD with only a 1mpg change in fuel efficiency. In fifth gear, the xD will go from 70 to 80 to pass in a couple seconds. It seemed to take forever in the Fit.
5. There were many reports of substantially lower gas mileage from many Fit owners.
6. The Honda dealers around me were jerks. Always trying to get more than MSRP.

Truth be told, the Fit is not a bad car and I probably would have bought one when they first came out if the dealers were reasonable. My 92 tercel started to majorly deteriorate about a month after they released the Fit. Fortunately for me I didn't need to own a car at the time so I could go into the Honda dealer and state exactly what I wanted and what I was willing to pay and if I didn't get it I could leave. I left five different dealerships. When I actually needed a car, I went to two different scion places. The second one treated me quite well and I bought a black xD with a manual transmission. I agree with the OP that the shifter and handling was better in the Fit but I've since added the quickshifter and the rear swaybar to my xD for a total of 270 bucks and I dare say that the shifting and handling is no longer better on the Fit. Next, I'm going to upgrade the suspension (to what I don't know yet) and put a set of summer tires on some nice rims.

My suggestion: get the xD, make the dealer throw in some part of the quickshifter rear swaybar combination (labor or parts, both if you can swing it) and you'll be happy
Old 01-17-2008, 03:43 PM

I was recently gasing up next to a guy who got the Fit with the 'sports package' or whatever.
we started talkin' and he said if he could do it all over, he'd get one with a stick cuz the engine wasnt very responsive or powerful.
Just my two cents
But i love my xD. No complaints and im already at 7k miles...
Old 01-17-2008, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fit is not a bad car at all, but the Fit we have here has been out to the rest of the world since 2001 and has already been replaced in Japan and will most likely be replaced here in late 2008 as a 2009 model. xD is a brand new design and is going to stay fresh quite a bit longer than the Fit. I looked at both cars, and I love both cars, but I liked the Fit a little better due to the handling, but since this was going to be my wife's car, she was more impressed with the options and look of the xD.

Fit = better handling, MPG, more usable interior space, bigger aftermarket.
xD = more pep, more features, iPod integration, new design.

Both cars should have great reliability.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was actually planning on buying a Fit a few months ago after reading a ton of reviews and comparing specs. Sure is a great car on paper! But when I drove one, the seats and driving position just weren't comfortable for me (6'1"). I've heard that other tall people find the Fit comfortable, but for me, it just wasn't. I decided to drive the xD only because I felt obligated to drive something other than the Fit for comparison, and it turns out the xD "fit" me better. Additionally, all the standard safety and convenience features (and VSC) on the xD were a very nice bonus.
That's my experience and opinion, though. It seems like you're very familiar with all the features and characteristics of each vehicle, and it's down to a matter of your opinion, handling vs. exterior looks. I don't see how we can really help with that - unless you're looking for an excuse to change your mind? If you ask on a Scion forum, you're obviously going to find a lot of people who like Scions. The xD was the best choice for me at the time, and I'm still very happy with it. I'd recommend it very highly. But Honda makes great cars, and if the Fit's pros outweigh its cons for you, get it! If you have semi-serious reservations with each vehicle, which do you think you'll potentially regret less?
Good luck with your decision,
Andy
Old 01-17-2008, 06:17 PM

Great reply, Andy, thanks. Honestly I think what I want is to be sold on the Scion. I've owned at least 4 Toyota's I think (beginning with a 1988 FJ62) and while I think blind brand loyalty is silly, I do feel a certain loyalty to Toyota--- My experience with my '04 xB only strengthened that. Great car, incredible value, effortless buying experience and after 3 years CarMax paid off the remainder of my loan AND gave me a check for $500.

My heart is telling me to go with the xD, but driving the Fit made me tingle in my pants in a way that no other car has in a long time. I'm a little torn.

I need to go down and just drive an xD
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I need to go down and just drive an xD
Do it!

As for handling upgrades... Keep in mind that a TRD sway bar is only about $150 shipped and very easy to install. For alloy rims, I found some 17" tC take-offs on eBay for $273 shipped, and Nexen N3000 tires (supposed to be good summer tires) for $266. I paid about $250 for some good used snow tires and had those mounted on my factory rims. Plus (or minus, in this equation?) I got about $200 for selling the factory tires. So for a total of about $850, I have the sway bar installed, and two sets of very good tires mounted and balanced on separate rims. Would obviously be less for you if you don't need the snows. And if the TRD air filter counts as a "performance upgrade," I got one of those with the cleaning kit for about $60.

My only gripe with this car is the lack of a center armrest/console. But according to another current thread on that issue, Scion is supposedly releasing one here sometime this spring. That wasn't a deal-breaker for me, though.

Have fun with your test drive,
Andy
Old 01-17-2008, 07:19 PM
SL Member

You need to drive the xd.

Then realize the springs and rear swaybar and quickshifter will

add what maybe like 700 bucks?

That might just make it more fun than the fit. Your call.

I did do the springs and wheels tires and the quickshift and the rear swaybar.

I don't recall the exact prices, but it wasn't near 2-3K

vast improvement in handling over stock with minimal added costs.

Done by the dealer so all OEM for warrenty ect ect.

Drive one first.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:22 PM

Thanks everyone for the great replies. My hunch is that I am going to wind up going with the xD but I won't be buying the car for a little while yet so I have more time to think (obsess) about it. I was thinking of just getting the short shifter and sway bar too, just to level the playing field a bit. That is a good idea. I had the TRD short shifter in my '04 xB and I was pretty happy with it. It still was not even close to as velvety and precise as the Fit though, but ah well. The heaping helping of extra power and much better looks of the xD make up for a lot. There is also no way I would get anything other than a 5 speed, I hate silver and I'm not playing games with Honda dealers that want $18k for a Fit.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:58 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K1RiMPlSvtw
Old 01-26-2008, 04:45 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
My sister got a Fit and I have the xD. Personally I like the xD much more because the interior does not feel as cheap, its a bit quieter, and not as bumpy of a ride because of the short wheel base.

Have you seen the images for the Fit for 09? I think it looks awesome, though afraid that Honda got even more cheap for the interior on that

Anyways, the xD has more options stock than the Fit does hands down. You can't fold the seats completely flat in the xD (if you can lemme know! ) but I think the ride is more comfortable than the Fit.
i know this was an old post, but if you can't get the seats flat still:
one lever on the tops moves them forward. move them forward first, then pull the other to lay them flat. (i had this same problem...they made it look so easy at the dealership!)