Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

xD vs Yaris hatch

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:58 AM
SL Member

Default xD vs Yaris hatch

My wife wants a Yaris hatch, I want an xD.
It seems like for the money the xD has alot more to offer than the Yaris.

Anyones opinons?

thanks

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-31-2017 at 06:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-22-2008, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks way better then the old Yaris

if you cant live w/ the tachometer in the center go with the Scion xD

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-31-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:37 AM
SL Member

lots more. to me the only real competitor to the xD is the Honda Fit. the rest dont even come close.
The Yaris is one of the cheapest feeling cars I have ever seen from Toyota. It feels more like a tin can than a car.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-31-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:13 PM
SL Member

(ok so i didn't know yaris was making a 4 door hatch???i agree with lostxd, i like this one a lot better than the old one! )

personally, i like the look of the xD better. when i bought mine, they only had the two door yaris and the sedan version, so i wanted a 4 door car with more cargo room...i'm not sure about the new specs though.

lol so i'm basically no help, sorry!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you price out the Yaris S 4-door liftback with options (cruise, ipod connector, power everything), it comes out to almost exactly $15,300. These two cars are in the same class at the same price point made by the same manufacturer. The main difference is that the Yaris has a smaller engine and is rated about 3 mpgs better. A lot of it comes down to look, tastes, preferences, etc. All I can advise is to go drive them.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drove the Yaris, and it is so underpowered. I'd go for the xD, for sure, but you guys should drive them both and see for yourself.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yaris is strictly economical
Better mpg and not apart of a pure pricing plan which means you can haggle for a better deal.
xD is more family oriented
More standard safety features. Easier to buy if you don't like negotiating
Old 08-22-2008, 04:54 PM

I test drove both the Yaris and the Xd. The XD wins hands down in power, looks, fit/finish, and interior design and comfort. The Yaris wins on MPG, thats about it. I can almost guarentee there is no yaris "fan club" or aftermarket sceene, like there is for the Scions.. The xD might have better resale value as well, but that will remain to be seen.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-31-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind that the 2-door Yaris and the xD share the SAME chassis. That's right: wheelbase, width, running gear except for engine size. The xD feels claustrophobic compared to the Yaris. The Yaris will move forward with a 5-speed (I have one) but it's 2" taller than the 4-door Yaris and taller than the xD (body sway). The back doors on either car are wasted except for children.

Sure, the xD has the equipment and would be worth it for that alone. Yaris' price escalate wildly with a few options.

I prefer the looks of the Yaris, obviously, and was greatly disappointed it wasn't given the 1.8L and that the xD is so blooming ugly.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

except for children? lol both of my 6 foot friends fit in the back comfortably
Old 08-23-2008, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Daytona955i
I can almost guarentee there is no yaris "fan club" or aftermarket sceene, like there is for the scions.. The Xd might have better resale value as well, but that will remain to be seen.
lol i would take that guarantee back. last car show i was at, the yaris' outnumbered xDs and xAs combined. And the Yaris is the only reason we even have several of our aftermarket parts (quickshifter, springs, etc) check out yarisworld.com too
Old 08-23-2008, 12:51 PM
SL Member

thanks everyone, we optioned out a yaris with all the saftey fetures and power stuff (except cruise control because you cant get it on the 2 door hatch) and it is going to be the same price as the XD. I still perfer the XD but my wife really likes the yaris. We drove both and the yaris did not seem to drive like a little toy car at all. It did have alot more road noise than the XD and the engine sounded like crap but overall it seemed like a very respectable car. As far as power I nailed both cars and I honestly couldnt tell a differance in power. Im guessing the 2 door hatch is a little lighter than the XD?
Anyways thanks for your help
Old 08-23-2008, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I test drove both the Yaris and the Xd. The XD wins hands down in power, looks, fit/finish, and interior design and comfort. The Yaris wins on MPG, thats about it. I can almost guarentee there is no yaris "fan club" or aftermarket sceene, like there is for the scions.. The Xd might have better resale value as well, but that will remain to be seen.
Just want you to know... There is a larger aftermarket development for the Yaris than there is for the xD... Not only that, but the Yaris "fan-club" scene is a lot larger than for the xD...

Really, its the EXACT same car... Same chassis, same suspension, same building materials just put together differently for different tastes. Yaris for the hypermiler/eco scene, xD for the younger, hipper crowd. Except the fact that the xD sales are largely to retired americans or families looking for a smaller fuel-efficient car. (thats why we have no aftermarket)
Old 08-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yaris is a bit scarce right now (at least in my area). Many people are picking it up as a secondary vehicle to commute with while their 12mpg truck sits at home, lol. It's very unlikely Yaris prices are negotiable at the moment. I would think you'll save a few bucks on the haggle, but it won't budge much. The xD will likely be the better deal.

I'd recommend test driving both and then haggling the Yaris and see how it compares with the xD. At that point, it'll be very easy to make a decision, maybe.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:30 PM
SL Member

they said the yaris and prius are no haggle
Old 08-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jbanderson
they said the yaris and prius are no haggle
No brainer on the xD then. At sticker price, it wins. Convincing the wife is the hard part
Old 08-23-2008, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by woof
Keep in mind that the 2-door Yaris and the xD share the SAME chassis. That's right: wheelbase, width, running gear except for engine size. The xD feels claustrophobic compared to the Yaris. The Yaris will move forward with a 5-speed (I have one) but it's 2" taller than the 4-door Yaris and taller than the xD (body sway). The back doors on either car are wasted except for children.

Sure, the xD has the equipment and would be worth it for that alone. Yaris' price escalate wildly with a few options.

I prefer the looks of the Yaris, obviously, and was greatly disappointed it wasn't given the 1.8L and that the xD is so blooming ugly.
You calling the xD ugly is hilarious. The Yaris is one of the ugliest and dorkiest cars I've ever seen! Hahhhh.

The Yaris looks like a peanut on wheels, feels tiny and claustrophobic, drives like a little wind-up toy, and feels cheap to the extreme. Time to get the eyes checked there, pal.

Also? My Dad, who is over 6 feet tall, fits comfortably into the back seat of my xD. Good try, but no dice.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:25 PM
SL Member

yea convincing her is not gonan happen, oh well. I guess I can get a vette then!! lol
Old 08-23-2008, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can almost guarentee there is no yaris "fan club" or aftermarket sceene, like there is for the scions.. .
you might want to check my garage before you go bashing the yaris and its aftermarket support. more so seeing as its suspension componets are compatable with your xd.......
Old 08-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try using this to convince her...

LOL.

Quick Reply: xD vs Yaris hatch