Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

2008 XB, 110K or so miles, start issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2008 XB, 110K or so miles, start issue

You can turn the key and it just won't start. Let up on it and turn it again and then it will.

I was thinking maybe an ignition switch or something, but another issue happening is that it acts weak when locking or unlocking the doors from the fob. Its beep won't sound right. Then it will be fine.

What should I look at first?
Old 07-06-2024, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 12V battery and terminals for corrosion and voltage.
After a 12 hour rest a new battery should be 12.9V, 12.6V is OK, 12.3V or less and it's dicey.
Harbor freight sells battery testers that seem to work well (
)
Old 07-06-2024, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you Rich - I had the battery tested a month ago and they said it was good, but I can test it again.

More info - I went out and inspected the battery terminals and they are tight and look good. I looked at the negative side to body ground and it looks good as in no corrosion, but I doubt anything has happened with it since 2008.

I started the car, warmed it up, then turned it off and started it 8 times. Out of the 8, 2 times it hesitates. Not as in it does nothing, but it cranks over the engine just once, then stalls, then it might stay that way (it did one time, nothing happening), but then the other time after some delay maybe 1 second it then began to turn over the engine and it started. Does the fact that it was trying imply maybe the starter itself?

Also, I noticed the clock has the wrong time. Could that be as a result of the lock/unlock that didn't sound right/didn't work. Could it be the result of the starter consuming too much current?

I appreciate the help!
Old 07-09-2024, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ordered a starter for it, but this morning's news makes me want to evaluate other things before installing it when it comes in on Thursday. I had my son driving my wife's car, but he needed something she had to take him so I told her to drive it, but don't turn it off. It started fine, but she called me and said it acts like it wants to lose power here and there like the radio should fade out and restart. This again goes into the lock/unlock keyfob issue and it is making me question whether I should even change the starter as the starter operating the way it is could be a power weakness issue.

Could this be a fusable link type of think on the positive side of the battery? Would can I look at and/or test?

Last edited by alank2; 07-09-2024 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2024, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It sounds like there is a loose/damaged main power connection somewhere. If you live in an area with salted roads in the winter the main battery to engine ground has been known to corrode over time. Unfortunately it is under the airbox so you have to remove it to inspect the connection.
Old 07-09-2024, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you say under the airbox Greg you mean the starter right? I saw a YT video on removing the airbox. I can replace the starter and just see what happens, but the issue isn't limited to the starter which makes me question what else could be limiting power intermittently. I could also order a fusible link and change that too if you think it is a good place to start.
Old 07-10-2024, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by alank2
When you say under the airbox Greg you mean the starter right? I saw a YT video on removing the airbox. I can replace the starter and just see what happens, but the issue isn't limited to the starter which makes me question what else could be limiting power intermittently. I could also order a fusible link and change that too if you think it is a good place to start.
No, not the starter. The main ground from the battery to the engine is directly under the airbox. It's a couple inches to the side and forward of the starter. If this is corroded or loose it causes all sort of problems as it is the main ground path for the engine and all the electronics on it.

Also, just noticed you have an 08. Check the VIN against the defective engine wiring harness TSB that came out for the early 08 models. I bought mine in January of 2008 and it was after they had redesigned the harness but if you have a very early build that could also be the issue. Unlikely as you would have been having drivability issues beforehand, but worth checking.
Old 07-10-2024, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Greg - I'll check the ground connection to the engine!

I think I got mine at the end of 2008.
Old Today, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The update for today:

The new starter I ordered came in from rockauto so I decided to go ahead and just put it in. Changing it was easier than I expected. I tried starting it 6 times and I was not getting the turn over, pause, take back off turning over type issue again so I was feeling good until I tried to start it the 7th time and got the classic not enough battery power clicking and blinking dash lights deal. I didn't expect to start the car 20 times on my battery, but I didn't think 6 was too many.

Even though walmart tested it good 6 weeks ago I decided to take it in and replace it with an AGM one like I have in my 2015 XB even if they wouldn't give me any warranty coverage. I lucked out when I got there because there machine for testing batteries was busy charging one and their other machine was broken so after being patient and waiting they just decided to return the old battery without testing it. I'm not sure if it would have tested good or bad, but I got the a new $180 AGM battery for $60 so I am thrilled to replace it.

New battery in and it started up perfectly so I went to drive it and warm it up so I could reset the idle. Turn it off and did the idle relearn procedure. Turned it off after that and back on again, so 3 nice forceful starts. Took it for a drive and will call it a night for now. I'm going to drive it a ton this weekend and see how it does. I'd love to think between the battery and the starter that the problem is fixed, but time will tell.