Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Should I replace these damage parts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2024 | 02:19 AM
SL Member

Default Should I replace these damage parts?

I was tinkering on my car today because I have the abs light on- the one with the car skidmarks. I ordered a scan tool but until it gets delivered I tried getting to both front abs sensors, cleaned them a bit, but everything seemed fine. Tomorrow I'll get to the rear ones. In the mean time I noticed some things that were damaged.

1-this one is on the brake assembly and the plastic tip on this metal protrution is destroyed and loose. What is it?

2-this one splits from the abs sensor line into the chasis. Is it a Plug? Is not damaged but maybe I should check it out...some how.

3- this is the link-arm? I don't know but it's definitely tore up

4- this one is obvious but will replacing the damaged rubber affect anything in the shock?

All input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2024 | 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While it is recommended to replace any part that is showing a high level of wear and tear, I would suggest in the order of your pictures

1 - No
2 - No
3 - Yes
4 - Yes

Hope this helps out.
Old 10-22-2024 | 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by RustedTruck
I was tinkering on my car today because I have the abs light on- the one with the car skidmarks.
That's not an ABS light...it's your traction control light. Did you turn traction control off, because that's the first thing I would check.

As far as your pictures, that's the 'dust cap' on your bleeder valve in the first picture...you can find a replacement for about the cost of a postage stamp.

Second picture...don't see anything wrong, so why would you mess with it?

Third picture...looks like the swaybar link and the rubber bushing is trashed. You could leave it, replace with OEM or look for an aftermarket link through someone like Energy Suspension.

Fourth picture...torn dust boot. Won't cause any huge issues other than keeping crap off the shock shaft, which may lead to premature wear and eventual leaking of shock oil. Your call if you replace it.
Old 10-22-2024 | 07:30 PM
SL Member

I was able to research and found out about the bleeder caps and sway bar links. I'll definitely replace them even though the bleeder caps are no big deal. It sucks that the bushings alone can't be replaced. I would hate to trash the links whe there's nothing wrong with them. I don't know if there's anything wrong with the 2nd picture but I would like see if there's any corrosion if it ends up being a Plug but I'll have to research it first before breaking anything . I've heard on YouTube that its not worth replacing the strut boot by itself but maybe i can mend it, I have a rubber paste made just for this.

By the way I can turn the Trac Off without problem the dash light for it will say Track Off but the one with skid marks according to the manual is a malfunction in the VSC or Trac system.
Old 10-22-2024 | 11:16 PM
SL Member

I got to the abs sensor today in the rear but all I could manage was to take off the sensor housing. I spent more than an hour trying to get the actual sensor off though. I gave up because I was afraid I would damage it if it ended up being OK. I looked up videos but you either pull out the entire hub assembly which I wasn't ready for or people would just get lucky. I'll have to find out more about this one. Phew

edit: it was fairly easy, you just need needle nose pliers to squeeze the from where the 2 wires go into the port. Everything was fine though. I'll have to wait for the code reader tomorrow.

Last edited by RustedTruck; Yesterday at 11:58 PM.