tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Dome Lighting Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Browny37
Lil_Deuce_tCoupe wrote:
does anyone here know how to put the thing back on correctly? Doh! i cant seem to get iit back on the 2 white circle thinggies on the bottom sides of it
I did the same thing...black thing got stuck up in the housing. I was able to put the whole plastic thing back on, but the front of it still sticks out a little bit. Im gonna try later tonight and see if I cant fit it back to normal.
changed the two interior dome lights today. wanted to try something different so for the front, i have white-uv-white and the back is a uv festoon.

i'm waiting for it to get dark out before i go and take some pictures for you all.

also, when changing the front, i popped the black stem into the housing, tried to "yank" the whole housing off as SquallLHeart keeps telling us to, but it didn't want out. so, a small pair of pliers and a light hand did the trick. just be VERY VERY CAREFUL.

i now have to figure out how to install the cubby. i was able to locate the bulb, and pull out the wiring through the passenger side hole as others had suggested, but i have no idea how to actually wire the bulb.

pictures later tonight. thanks all for the advice and thanks again LucidBD for the great DIY.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LucidBD
actually i didnt even think about the hatch light....i never open the hatch..probably why i didnt think of it..

ok so i just took a look. seems to use the same size as the rear dome. took some pics put im not gonna post them yet. the hatch casing is a little different. there is a grey plastic covering that needs to be pulled off after getting the fixture out of the side panel.

now, inside the casing when you flip the switch it moves one side of the bulb down and to the side to make a connection to the TIP of the bulb. this may be difficult to do with the LED because the connection at the tip of the LED is much larger than the stock bulb. (if you have no idea what im saying, i dont blame you, i will have pics later)

this makes it hard because the connection will always be made and the switch will be useless.

i tried to put the rear dome LED in but the connection was always being made. i got a pretty big spark on the 1st and 2nd attempt. so i stopped there. i will look into it further.
yes, the hatch takes the same bulb as the rear dome (3022 fesoon i believe?). i had no idea what LBD was talking about above until i removed the housing and realized that the on/off switch is physically part of the metal prong that holds the bulb, so when you switch the switch, the bulb will sort of sway side-to-side as well. this usually won't be a problem as (i assume) most of us just leaves the hatch light in one position or another.

it took a little adjusting with some pliers to coax the metal prongs into the correct position, but once everything was in place, i had no problems. pictures soon!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tinyhandful
i now have to figure out how to install the cubby. i was able to locate the bulb, and pull out the wiring through the passenger side hole as others had suggested, but i have no idea how to actually wire the bulb.

pictures later tonight. thanks all for the advice and thanks again LucidBD for the great DIY.
NEVERMIND. didn't realize that the black part of the bulb, was actually the HOUSING. i yanked my UV LED out of its housing and just put it into the stock housing. works great. gawd i'm such a noob sometimes. (i thought i had to unwrap the elec. tape and wire the whole thing...)

...now i'm just talking to myself...
Old 04-28-2007, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

installed the cubby.

here's the picture as promised, had to tweak the colour a little as UV light didn't register on camera as what the eye sees.

the PURPLE is smokin'! especially against SW... : )
Old 04-29-2007, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2x WLED-WHP Pure White High Power parking lights in the headlights
2x WLED 5-LED Wide Angle LED bulb (white map light) <- not shown
1x WLED 5-LED Wide Angle LED bulb (blue front dome light)
1x 3022-x4 LED Festoon bulb (blue rear dome light)
Old 05-10-2007, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Anyone have a issue with the back dome light like i am? Heres wuts happening to me i put the led in it went on like it was supose to i opened the door went on shut the door went off like its supose tooooooo but when i open the door then turn the light to off and then turn it back to door it dosent turn on so i figured eh never shut the back light off anyways so i tinkered with it to get it to come back on check it by opening the door and closing it and it worked fine but then i went out for a drive and when i opened my door it didnt come on its in there right not loose and its the rite bulb idk if my sub is screwing it up rattleing it around or wut anyone have this issue befor and fixed it?
Old 05-10-2007, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just leave the lights in the car to "DOOR" all the time. When the door shuts and you lock the car, they will go out. I think your just looking at it wrong or not explaining it correctly in your post.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah i kinda just went at it let me sum it up i got it workin on door but when i went out for a drive and came back it wasnt workin its really strange and hard to explaint i get it in the little holes where each end of the bulb goes and i have to wiggle it around for it to come on and i know it shouldnt b like that expecialy where the stock bulb just layed in there idk i guess i can live without having a blue back dome light
Old 05-10-2007, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have to WIGGLE it around, then this mean you either have the wrong bulb size or the maker of the bulb made the bulb a hair to small nad it doesnt fit correctly. Make sure you also put the bulb in the correct way due to polarity.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i got the exact bulb the guy that posted this thread got idk ill have to check it out again and think think think
Old 07-19-2007, 07:17 PM
DeepSouth Scions
Scinergy

thanks for the help... i just ordered mine!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about the light under the head unit in the center consle thing how do ypu get that one out?
Old 07-20-2007, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just pull out the lower cubby panel (the whole piece from the silver plastic in) and if you reach behind the cubby there is a small LED that you can pop in and out.

you dont have to baby the plastic when pulling it all out...they have clips and wont break as easy as you think
Old 07-23-2007, 09:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

harder add-on to this would be the trunk light. i did mine with the same bulb i used for the rear dome light....required alot of force and the switch is unusable.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:50 AM
SL Member

hello~ great thread... i got my dome/map, rear dome lights installed, they look VERY nice... great and cheap mod to work on for me since i just got my 08.

It caused me one problem tho (not the interior lights). but i was trying to put my 194 type LED bulb from front dome light into that small bulb located where the high beam light is, and my HID light (the side i was trying it on) went out, and it seems like the ballast for the HID stopped working (i switched the ballasts from the other side, and it worked, so i'm pretty sure the ballast gave up on it)

would anyone know what may have caused it? i would like to get LED in that small bulb, but i don't really want to break my HID kit again... i had to order extra ballast (T^T)

any info or thought will be appreciated!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i'm getting my leds soon =) i just ordered them! thanks
Old 08-02-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lbjshaq2345
harder add-on to this would be the trunk light. i did mine with the same bulb i used for the rear dome light....required alot of force and the switch is unusable.
You just need to bend the metal bits inside of there. I've got mine so that the switch works, although I wouldn't use it TOO much.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

ok i got pulled over for my lights being "blue"! Stupid fat f*ck their WHITE! anywho, how are those PIAA bulbs from cardomain? I have those single LED polarized ones from SuperbrightLEDs.com
Old 08-09-2007, 04:00 AM
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Squall helped me out with the dome housing being put together. I didn't know that when I yank the whole housing down that the white clips that were on the ceiling were suppoes to be with the housing! just letting everyone know so if you have any troubles putting it back up there correctly. Thanks Squall!!

other than that, Yanki01, you mean your headlights or what?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

license plates

Quick Reply: Dome Lighting Install