Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Dome Lighting Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not sure about green. might look interesting.

i did change my rear license plate lights. i did not use LEDs

i just went to Advanced Auto Parts and picked up a set of Blue Bulbs that matched the stock fit. and for $6 they look SWEET at night. ill get picks tonight.
also did my hatch interior light. it uses the same LED as teh rear dome but it is a very tight fit. some sanding to the tips of the LED will help. or bend the fitting prong on the light caseing. I unfortunantly dropped the LED and broke it..DOH!

so i took the stock bulb and used a Blue permanent sharpie for the time being. and it looks fine. shows whiteish blue but still gives a good accent.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by sparky2002
I use Uv 4 LED for the front (dome only) and it looked great but kinda dim compare to blue (what I have now, 6 LED). And this has been brought up earlier in the thread, if you have LED for the front and back, one will stay lit (not full strength) when all doors are closed if it's set to "door". I know LEDs draws very little power but does anyone know how this effects the battery? Thanks.
the one will stay on the whole time your driving?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by LucidBD
not sure about green. might look interesting.

i did change my rear license plate lights. i did not use LEDs

i just went to Advanced Auto Parts and picked up a set of Blue Bulbs that matched the stock fit. and for $6 they look SWEET at night. ill get picks tonight.
also did my hatch interior light. it uses the same LED as teh rear dome but it is a very tight fit. some sanding to the tips of the LED will help. or bend the fitting prong on the light caseing. I unfortunantly dropped the LED and broke it..DOH!

so i took the stock bulb and used a Blue permanent sharpie for the time being. and it looks fine. shows whiteish blue but still gives a good accent.
pics and a product name/sku # would help :D

do you have the same problem where your dome will constantly stay on w/ it set to Door?
im gonna do this mod this weekend...
Old 07-10-2005, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scoobyroo2002
The led's wont get hot and melt the plastic will they?
They're LEDs!!! Of Course not. The stock bulbs are actually hotter than the LEDs
Old 08-03-2005, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kwc5811
Took it out and turned it around and it worked. Don't know if this was a polarization problem or just a bad connection.
Yes, the rear LED is polarized, meaning it'll only work one way. If it doesn't work, don't assume the bulb is broke or the fuse is blown, just flip it!

Incidentally, this is a great little writeup! Already did the rear light, just ordered the LED for the front dome. Will have it pretty much identical to the write up... BLue LED's that go on when the doors are opened, but leaving the 2 side reading lamps white in case I need extra light.

I also have the Auto-dimming mirror with the light underneath, I was going to have the built-in blue light shine from underneath, but it's not really the same blue, more like a teal. So I tried the built-in amber, and it really looks nice, along with the amber dials in the center console it washes over the whole area with a slight amber hue. When I'm done with the whole thing, I'll try to post pics up.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yo.. looks nice man.. i ordered the same thing.. except for the back they gave me purple instead of blue... o well their sending me the correct one for free... nice find on the LED bulbs...
Old 08-24-2005, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ordered a xenon rear dome light from autolumination.com and when i put it in, even when the switch is set to "off," the light lights up....I tried switching it around even though i don't think its polarized, and it's still on. I have a blue one and a white one, but the xenon is MUCH brighter and looks MUCH better than either of them. can anyone help?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:50 PM
SL Member

Old thread...following up on my old post...I ended up going with the 6-led instead of the 5-led 'wider' light. I think this is a better choice because the sockets are 'tucked' up into the ceiling, meaning you need something that points DOWN, not spreads out.

I got Red and it looks pretty cool, although red is not bright enough to really see anything, so I left the map lights stock.

I was thinking of doing the license plate lights, but red is not legal, and I'm not sure what else is going to look good since I have a red TC.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My friend, Glock23, has red color LED lisense plate lights on his Celica. So far he didnt get caught so far, I wouldn't recommend doing this myself since it's very noticeable. So it's up to you what you want to do.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice lookin interior
Old 09-08-2005, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Didn't see anyone post about the red LEDS. Just ordered mine, will try and post pics when they arrive and i do the swap.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is there a LED for the luggage/trunk compartment light in the www.superbrightleds.com ?
Old 09-13-2005, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Default license plate lights

Hey, can anyone show me how to replace the lights for the license plates? i cant seem to get them out...

Thanks
Old 09-14-2005, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Just did the interior lights, main bulb and rear bulb. Took me a whole 30 seconds to do. Bravo for the write up! Red lights look suh-weet!
Old 09-14-2005, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did red interiort but too lazy to post pics maybe later
Old 09-14-2005, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the lights for the hatch license plate can be done every easy (if you have average or small hands)

open the hatch and look on the inside of the hatch. there are 2 plastic panels that can pop out. pop them out and look in there. you get a good grip on the bulb housing and turn left to have it pop out. takes some wiggling and pulling to get it out then just replace it and reverse the steps...i have found Blue bulbs that fit perfect at any auto parts store.

some have blue bulbs but light up white and some have blue bulbs and actually light up blue.

i have both and will get pics sometime this weekend to compair.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Hah, wow, that easy huh. man! i tried for like 15 mins tring to jiggle it out, didnt think i had 2 turn it! GAH, so obvious. i will try that out next time i get the chance. another quiestion, for the dome light in the back, what size is the bulb? a 31mm or a 36? i have this guy who sells LEDs from Hong Kong, im doing business with him off of ebay. i saw that they call for DE3175. let me know. thanx
Old 09-15-2005, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im not sure the size of the rear dome actually. it pops out easy enough that you could take it out and measure it.
ill see if i can find out tomorrow. i need some sleep
Old 09-15-2005, 03:27 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info, I knew how to swap the bulbs on my xA, but was going to order Led's From McMaster Carr. No need for that as I see you found a better source. McMaster was a bit pricey and less color selection.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

Ok so I went all the way through this post and even bought the led lights like now, and just realized...I was only seeing people with TC's Are the sizes listed some where back on page two the same for the xA.? I had been looking for the sizes to change mine out and got excited to find this so I bought the bulbs please tell me the sizes are the same. Although I am not sure the back one is.. if not anyone want some leds?

Quick Reply: Dome Lighting Install