tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Dome Lighting Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WhiteWolfG
Ok- so calling all cars, i have a weird thing with my interior LEDS.

Background- I have a white one in each maplight, a blue one in the front and rear dome lights, per the instructions at the beginning of this post.

I am now noticing that, when i have the lights on "door" (door closed=off, door open=on), even when the door is closed and the light has faded out, there is a slight glow in the light.

This glow goes away if the lights are switched to "OFF".

Any ideas?

no prob here. i have the same set up.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by MTcX
Originally Posted by TcX
its easiest if you remove the center console
I guess this is the part that I don't know how to do...
Here is an awesome walk through created by MANDOS on removing pieces in your car. The center console is easy.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60981
That is an awesome walkthrough! Do you know which size of LED the cubby light takes? Same as the maplights or..? Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:58 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member

i love mine i just got mine installed earlier today at Pepboys for 20 bux, a little pricey for a simple installation but it was worth it cuz it looks SWEET at night
Old 04-13-2006, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by OpTiMi5t
i love mine i just got mine installed earlier today at Pepboys for 20 bux, a little pricey for a simple installation but it was worth it cuz it looks SWEET at night
how come you didnt do this yourself?
sorry but that is a lot of money for a simple bulb switch.

I got mine in the mail today and switched one of my map lights to red.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:16 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCAV8R
Originally Posted by OpTiMi5t
how come you didnt do this yourself?
sorry but that is a lot of money for a simple bulb switch.

I got mine in the mail today and switched one of my map lights to red.
becuz it was a pain in the neck tryna to pull the bulb out itself, and i really didnt want to mess up the lights, fuse, or anything of that nature, i had the money to get it done so in all it was alright. again it was pricey but i dont regret it, the lights look really nice, im attracking alot of attention, not any negative yet, but i know alot of cops where i live so i know they wont give me a ticket
Old 04-13-2006, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

That is an awesome walkthrough! Do you know which size of LED the cubby light takes? Same as the maplights or..? Thanks again.
I don't have time now to go back through it but if you go back throug these pages it was talked about the type of LED to get and thats the one that works. You don't need the one with the housing, you can get just the regular LED bulb that plugs in. To answer your other question.....NO.....the cubby light is not like the head lamps and cannot be used on the cubby light.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member

THANK YOU FOR A GREAT POST, JUST ORDERED 2 SETS, ONE FOR MINE, ONE FOR GF'S, I GOT WHITE TC, SHE'S GOT A RED ONE 2500 OUT OF 2500
Old 04-18-2006, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

ok So I ordered those same bulbs and installed mine today and I have a GREAT tip for you guys.

TO GET THE STOCK BULBS OUT ( Slippery lil suckers ): Get one of those big thick rubber bands and wrap it around the bulb once. The rubber sticks to the glass and makes it easy to grip rather than feeling like you're gonna break em. Theeen just pull straight down on em.

I was prying on em for about 20 mins ( drying off the finger tips/ trying some more ) Got frustrated, gave up, went back to my desk at work and saw the nice big pile of rubber bands. Took me 10 seconds after that
Old 04-18-2006, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AMMO_tC
i got huge hands and i did it from behind. not to difficult.
when i reach in from behind to pull the cubby hole light out do i just pull on the wire that it is connected to? i got back there and felt the wire but i was scared to yank to hard cause i didn't want to break anything
Old 04-18-2006, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

man I didn't have this much trouble pulling out my bulbs, I wonder what the difference is
Old 04-18-2006, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

aright well i went back to try again and got a good hold on it and pulled it out rather easy. so i just ordered the bulb its on page 4 of this thread for anyone interested. ill go back and get it and post it here. i actually cut up my arm pretty bad but its all good
Old 04-18-2006, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 7thgear
don't know.. but use this though.

http://autolumination.com/74.htm

#74 (T5, T1-3/4) bulbs are 3/4" x 1/8" diameter

this is what i ordered.

Originally Posted by rwf
ahh, thanks for the info!! ill try that~
but um.. sorry for askin the obvious, but is this bulb the rigth one?
T1.5 Instrument LED bulb
1-LED Instrument Cluster and Gauge illumination bulb. #74

i just want to make sure b4 i order it >_<
heres the link to the cubby hole bulb as posted earllier in this thread..for those who didn't feel like searching.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks for adding additional info about the cubby light- this thread is getting pretty long and has jumped over a number of topics. I wonder if anybody has any information about how the incandescent bulbs for the cubby ("#74 (T5, T1-3/4) bulbs are 3/4" x 1/8" diameter ") match color wise with the LED's? I wouldn't want to get a drastically different blue going on in my car...
Old 04-19-2006, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well ill tell you in a few days cause i just ordered the blue cubby light and i put in the blue led dome lights a few days ago..soon enough im getting the blue interior lights..so when its all done ill telll you how it is
Old 04-19-2006, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member

Ok- so calling all cars, i have a weird thing with my interior LEDS.

Background- I have a white one in each maplight, a blue one in the front and rear dome lights, per the instructions at the beginning of this post.

I am now noticing that, when i have the lights on "door" (door closed=off, door open=on), even when the door is closed and the light has faded out, there is a slight glow in the light.

This glow goes away if the lights are switched to "OFF".

Any ideas?
I got blue front and back dome lights for my white TC, and red for my girlfirends red TC. The reading lights are white on both. I installed them in both cars. Everything worked fine except for the back dome light in my TC, also it was hard to fit it in. When I close the doors and the lights fade out, you can see in the rear dome there's a slight blue fade that stays on, I haven't checked how long does it stay on. I tried taking it out and putting it back again, not helping. My gf's car does not have this problem. So I figured I'd call the www.superbrightleds.com and tell them about the problem. They're sending me out a replacement bulb with prepaid return postage, to send this one back.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for adding additional info about the cubby light- this thread is getting pretty long and has jumped over a number of topics. I wonder if anybody has any information about how the incandescent bulbs for the cubby ("#74 (T5, T1-3/4) bulbs are 3/4" x 1/8" diameter ") match color wise with the LED's? I wouldn't want to get a drastically different blue going on in my car...
I did the same setup as the guy who posted this. I ordered a blue light for the cubby, and just in case I ordered a white one. Got the lights yesterday installed the, first I tried the blue, then I tried the white for the cubby. The blue didn't match the dome lights, and honestly didn't look that great in there, so I swithched it out with the white, and I think it looks much better. I also saw somebody on here saying that you can sand the tip of that light a little bit to make it kind of spread out, that also worked. I tried it with both of the lights.

P.S. For my gf's RED TC I did the red led setup, except for the map lights, those are white. Looks Great, and cubby in red looks good.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member

HERE ARE MY PICS

Old 04-20-2006, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i tried using a blue sharpie on the light in the hatch. it looked great for about 2 minutes and then it got kinda hot and it looks like the sharpie just cooked off. did i not let it dry long enough before i put it back in?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice try, but it'll prob keep burning off.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought i read on here somewhere about someone successfully doing this.

Quick Reply: Dome Lighting Install