Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Dome Lighting Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just left mine alone. no one really looks back there anyways.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya thats why i figured id give it a try. no one really looks back there so if it works great if not o well.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

does any1 know what size led will fit in the hatch?
Old 04-21-2006, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here ya go.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...d+festoon+bulb
Old 05-01-2006, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yo,

Thanks for da heads up and show.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice write up. easy to do and makes the car look way better
Old 05-16-2006, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I just did this mod and it was a piece of cake, I also did the license plate, shifter, and cubby hole too!

I did all the mods at once and it took about 1 hour. Shifter was a pain in the ___ because the silver shifter would not budge, and the cubby hole is tough because it does not allow a lot of slack. The license plate was a little tough because I had to get some plyers to turn the lights. They were in there real tight.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice post! I ordered red LEDs for the front and rear domes and hyper whites for the reading lights and installed them last night. I'm on the fence about the red but the hyper whites are sick!

Btw, thanks goes out to whoever suggested wrapping the bulbs with a rubber band to help pry them out. That made it about 1000x easier to take out.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Installed my LED's yesterday according to instructions on first page, I love them!
Old 05-20-2006, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very easy mod, makes such a huge difference too. Took like 10 mins tops, also did the trunk light, didnt fit the best, but its rigged in well enough to stay. Makes it feel like a new luxury car inside now w/ the hyperwhites...
Old 05-24-2006, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what is the verdict with the dome lights staying on (very dim) when the doors are closed? I have read the entire thread and a few random people have said that after they changed their dome lights to the 6-led lights, the light fades out, but doesnt fade away completely.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats just a lil residual electricity keeping the led slightly alive. LED's use so little power that even a picture of electricity will make em light up.

BTW. I had my friend in the passanger seat when i was trying to install the led's
and he was like here leme help, I told him that u just needa pull down but he was like"pop oh ____...that bulb went inside" haha

Anyways so yeah Im gonna be one of those people that has to pull down the whole housing. Im STILL waiting from my camera from a friend, and once i get it...can finally take some pics.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ok- so I want to ask a question about installing new license plate lights.... or rather, getting the old ones out!

I know LucidBD said you turn them to the left, but just to make this idiot proof...

I open the hatch to my car, and i turn my back to the car, then pull the hatch down so i'm looking at it (facing away from the car). Pop off the cover for the light, unplug the power source and then I turn it....
A) Clockwise
B) Counter clockwise

Now honestly, I tried both ways but didn't have any success... i've seen other people say that if you have big hands (which i do) it's really hard to get it out, but i'm not sure why that would be- I got a good grip on it but just couldn't seem to twist it, and really didn't want to break it. Any help would be appreciated.. thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

just use needle nose pliers and wrap the ends with toilet paper and it comes out in a second. trust me
Old 05-26-2006, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude, I just swapped out my lights and it looks sooooo sick!

For future reference if anyone ever gets their bulb/housing pushed inside and they have to take off the entire housing remember to pull out the white clip thingies and reattatch them to the housing so when you put them back inside everything fits correctly. I had two of mine get stuck up there and it wouldnt go back in properly, I hada pull em out with pliers and then it worked like a charm.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by fishingexpert87
just use needle nose pliers and wrap the ends with toilet paper and it comes out in a second. trust me
meaning use the needle noses to twist it, or just pull it straight out? It feels like its extremely tight in there.. did u do this on an 06? Sorry for all the questions but i dont' wanna eff up my license lights.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

^^ it should be just clips?
Old 05-28-2006, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres are pictures of mine all done

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=121936
Old 06-08-2006, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just did mine today and it turned out great, but so much for the 10 min thing....took me an hour!!!! I dropped the damn LED under my seat and couldnt get it out for like 20 mins!!! Once i did get it out i started to pull out all stock lights....was easy and then when i started installing the leds one of the sockets (black area u shove in light) was loose....i guess scion didnt put it in properly, so when i tried to insert my LED i lost the socket area and had to rip off the whole freakin thing open close button and all!! Damn u scion lol, so yeah this took me alot longer than it should have, but a great and fun mod... La La La
Old 06-08-2006, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member

that sucks bro, it only took me 10-15 minutes...only took that long cuz I did it in the dark lol... I'll try to put up pics soon. I also changed the light in the cubby hole to blue...I actually think that looks the best out of all of them. Finally, I think I wanna add LEDs behind the front speaker grilles and hook them up to a switch. hopefully I can do all that soon and get pics up

Quick Reply: Dome Lighting Install