Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

Jeri Yoshizu, Scion Sales & Promotion, Interview

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 01:41 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Jeri Yoshizu, Scion Sales & Promotion, Interview

I had a chance to talk to Jeri Yoshizu, manager of sales and promotion for Scion. She's the boss lady in charge of all of the activities and events that set Scion apart. Let's listen in...

Let's start with a little background. Your title with Scion is 'Scion Manager of Sales Promotions'. Can you explain what exactly you do for Scion and how were you chosen for this position?

After graduating from Cal State Long Beach, I was looking for a database programming job. I began working at Toyota, as a business systems analyst. As part of my personal computer interest I began to take Java to get into online database programming, as the internet was about to explode. The Toyota Genesis job came up, for the position of interactive marketing, and I went for it. I was originally working on lifestyle, direct and interactive marketing, a position was transitioned to my current position. Now I work on marketing initiatives, such as special events, music events, tuner events, the brochure, cds, project cars.
Many Scion owners are initially attracted to the Scion brand because of the marketing trendiness and attitude. Can you tell us a little more about your part in this mix?

Well, I help to direct lifestyle initiatives through music, art, film and fashion. It is really challenging as the trends are constantly evolving or even disappearing. I have been very fortunate to work with highly creative and forward-thinking individuals, both inside Scion and outside.
One of the key features of Scion's authenticity is their backing of events such as the SCION RALLY event and DJ sessions held at local clubs. How have these events helped to sell cars?

The executions you mentioned are branding initiatives. When it comes down to it, a consumer has a million choices when it comes to car purchasing. Today, most cars offer the same things, depending upon your price range. So, what did we have to do to separate ourselves from the rest? We had to create an emotional bond, impress upon those a positive, lifestyle image that will jump to the mind when a consumer is deciding their choice. Ipod does a great job at this. At the end of the day, it is an mp3 player. But, Apple has done a great job in creating an emotional bond with consumers to purchase the Ipod because it is simply "cool".
What was your first car, what do you drive now and what do you want to drive if money were no object?

My first car was a Toyota Celica, before the latest model, with the round lamps. I currently drive a Scion tC. If cash was not an option, I would go for a BMW Z3 hardtop. Nice.
Are there any future events/programs that you can tell us about that haven't been officially announced yet?

I am working on the next Rally initiative.
Is there anything you would like to say to or ask of Scion Life members?

You are lucky to have someone that wants to organize your interests...
Are there any special thank-yous that you want to mention?

I would like to thank the support of my management, Farley, Bolain and Lentz. They have creative vision. I would like to thank all the tuners out there who believed in Scion and came by the booth in the early days of Hot Import Nights. It was refreshing to hear the positive feedback of those who applauded Scion for bringing out something different.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm curious why she drives a tC. I mean, that's awesome and all... but it seems like she could afford more than that...

Old 03-11-2006, 02:20 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member
Scion Evolution

Jeri is definitely, one hell of a woman. Look at all she has done for the company. She has a big plate to fill and has accomplished so much. Why cant there be more women like Jeri?
Old 03-11-2006, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I'm curious as to what modifications she has done to her tC!! That is the one question that needed to be asked...
Old 03-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member
Scion Evolution

If you notice, she also brings in great talent for the scion events too. At SEMA she had Jazzy Jeff perform, and at one of her old school shows she was able to get Rodney O and Joe Cooley. To give you an idea how packed her parties are......at SEMA, there was a 2 hour wait. This girl rocks!

party at forbidden city at hollywood and vine.......even Drew from Kearny Mesa drove 2 hours up for the party

Old 03-11-2006, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member

If you were reading this
http://www.lexuslife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109977
You will see, that Toyota doesnot pay so much as others do, people working not for money, but for others...
Old 03-11-2006, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

generally the japanese philosophy goes with that. you don't get paid a lot till you get fairly high up. i was reading an arcitle on the animators in japan. how they have dreams of being producers and such. but, when they start out, they work long hour weeks for very little pay, and most of them never get to where they wanna be. but, anywho, back to the topic at hand, great stuff. i tell customers everyday, what scion has done with their marketing approach is so awesome. big props to everyone involved.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

BUT BUT BUT>>>>> i cant go to these yet,..... NOT 21
Old 03-14-2006, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Darren, is she single?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went to some of the first Scion parties in 2004..They were off the hook, she had Pete Rock, Biz Markie perform she has great connects in the industry...But I Love the whole scion community there so much ore unity here than in any other car cammunity....I'm glad to be apart of it..Much respect to those that made i possible along w/ Jeri.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

maybe she drives a tC because it was given to her pro bono...
Old 04-05-2006, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Longoscion
If you notice, she also brings in great talent for the scion events too. At SEMA she had Jazzy Jeff perform, and at one of her old school shows she was able to get Rodney O and Joe Cooley. To give you an idea how packed her parties are......at SEMA, there was a 2 hour wait. This girl rocks!

party at forbidden city at hollywood and vine.......even Drew from Kearny Mesa drove 2 hours up for the party

There's Nilo macking on my wife, lol! She still feels bad about stealing your coat Nilo, she's not a clepto, I swear!

In seriousness, I've only met Jeri a few times but her energy is unreal and her events are AWESOME. She seems like an awesome girl and there is no doubt her dedication and talent have played a role in the success of Scion. Keep it up!