Notices
Toyota Supra 5th-Gen 2008- Supercar

The rebirth of Supra

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member

Well you all must think this way, You like it, Buy it, Wait a little while and I can guarantee that it will be the the 350Z and it will have ANYTHING You could imagine for it! Play with different choices from all the makers and get a good mechanic and Im sure you could make it a beast! Allthough I still think its ugly and a copy off of Benz crossed with a mustang! LMAO!
Jessa
Old 05-01-2005, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by PitBox
Originally Posted by hotbox05
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They're stupid to run a mechanical fan , prone to fail and losing hp in the process.
There not stupid, This is Az and if you run an electrical fan it will cause the engine to overheat due to the heat in Az. Its never failed and with 1453 I dont think they care!
Jessa
not exactly electric fans if sized correctly via size and air flow will be better than mechanical fans almost 100% of the time , that is the ultimate as far as supra's go , hopefully , as a minimum the new supra's motor will be cheap and have cheap maintanence on it especially compared to the perfect yet hideously overpriced 2jz.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member

Well the owner Saad is a high believer of mechanical fan and it hasnt failed on him yet so no reason to doubt it, But to each his own. In our 300zx with an LS1 we have electrical fans and its worked so depending on the car and the owner each to his own.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

an ls1 in a 300zx? hmmm .......... as in a 90-96 style? hmmm...... i'd say maybe so in an ol 240z or 260z or 280z , hmm any pics? i know this is thread jacking but oh well.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

JOE!@
Old 06-02-2005, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey you guys can whine about it all you want. I'll take a new Supra with a V8 any day. It will be at least as fast as the stock 2jzgte, and will be more fuel efficient.

And hey, if you want a turbo, I am sure that beast will get a company or two (or 50) to make some turbo kits for it that will knock the socks off any factory set up. The Supra name has a legendary following, and as soon as one comes out on the market, every company will be making modifications for it.

The 2jzgte motor is a legend, but times change.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member

Default Version

Looks ok, but a bit to luxury.
Where's the sport?
Twin Turbos, Dual Cams, and
Targa Tops.....

Come Wit It!

Muhahahaha!
Old 07-04-2005, 10:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

that link icon posted is a hideous car. that and it's pretty much a supercar. . toyota just needs to make an affordable mid line sports car to combat , corvette , mustangs , as well as boxters. it doesnt take a 100k car to do that but toyota wants to beat the competition not contend with it. leaving alot of consumers screwed .
Old 07-09-2005, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member

As a supra owner i say a V8 NA supra is a dumb idea. They might as well call it a lexus.........
Old 07-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Being a MKIV supra owner, I of course have been doing ALOT of research on the new supra coming out or should I say supposedly coming out. From what I have heard, its going to be a v8 NA, badged as a lexus and close to 80K.

Someone above also asked what the factory power of the TT was. Its rated for 320hp. The NA version was 220hp. The MKIV supras are very heavy. We scaled it at the track and it was 3600lbs with driver. That is a pretty heavy car. But the potential of the 2jz motor is just crazy. The stock lower ends on these cars can handle well up to 1000hp. It has been done numerous times. They should just put the 2jz back into the supra when the release it. Its a perfect platform and very buildable. They would sell a crap load of them. Just look at all the IS300's you see... Its basically a 4dr NA supra....
Old 07-12-2005, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member

Being a old school MK3 owner and lover of the mk4 i think that a V8 in a "japanese muscle car" Is a bad idea keep the japnase ways and do a inline 6 or V6 and go with twin turbo or single. But dont ruin a good old car with the new looks. I mean look at the charger ruined. The only car that made a good comeback was the GTO and that is because they cared what people thought.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:54 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how about a v8 twin turbo
Old 09-08-2005, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Two doors. Sport oriented, but not hard core sport. Four wheel disc brakes. INLINE 6. EVERY Supra has been an I-6 since they were called Celica Supras. Anything else is just a new car with an old name.

We'll never see another one.

FWIW, all the prognostication about a V-8 is misguided. They've been testing a V-10 for some years now, and IF they decide to release it, it will likely be stupid expensive with a Lexus badge. I've been told producing this car is very UNlikely because Toyota has gone green, AND they really don't want another MkIV Supra that everyone loves years after they were a complete sales disaster.

They never sold the turbos for less than $39,600, and in '95, when the yen went bad against the dollar, they were $54k. Many sat on showroom floors for well over a year before they were sold. I consider myself phenomenally lucky to have made the sacrifice and bought a hardtop (a TRUE sports GT) 6 speed in '94. The cars were misunderstood, sold very poorly, and didn't catch on until it was far too late for Toyco USA.

Don't hold your breath on a "new" Supra. It will not be anything like the cars of the past.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:32 AM
5 Year Member

A NA V8 Supra? Unless Toyota does some miracle engineering I doubt it can surpase the potenial of the 2JZ and Getrag tranny.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

who wants to buy some xB parts...and where does the line for buying the cars start....hmmmmm...i drolled on my keyboard
Old 09-12-2005, 09:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

you better sell a whole lot of xB parts to afford one. lol
Old 09-18-2005, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the Mark IV has always been my dream car. IMO, body styling was just so very sweet. New potential-supra pics = ugly.

IF/WHEN I can afford something in that price range, i'm sure it'll be a '98 Mark IV. I doubt I could be happy with something else Toyota happened to call a Supra.....
Old 09-18-2005, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

turbo turbo turbo turbo!
Old 10-20-2005, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we have to get use to the fact, that us Americans were slow to appreciate the japanese market when it was great. gone are the days where all the major japanese motor companies came out with twin turbo V6's. 300zx, supra, 3000gt. All we can do now is watch a bunch of turbo 4 bangers roll around, like the SRT-4, wrx, evo's, which arent bad at all, but nothing near twin turbo V6's that are proven to be beasts in their rightly form. Get use to it people, yes it breaks my heart still.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lo_bux_racer
Two doors. Sport oriented, but not hard core sport. Four wheel disc brakes. INLINE 6. EVERY Supra has been an I-6 since they were called Celica Supras. Anything else is just a new car with an old name.

We'll never see another one.

FWIW, all the prognostication about a V-8 is misguided. They've been testing a V-10 for some years now, and IF they decide to release it, it will likely be stupid expensive with a Lexus badge. I've been told producing this car is very UNlikely because Toyota has gone green, AND they really don't want another MkIV Supra that everyone loves years after they were a complete sales disaster.

They never sold the turbos for less than $39,600, and in '95, when the yen went bad against the dollar, they were $54k. Many sat on showroom floors for well over a year before they were sold. I consider myself phenomenally lucky to have made the sacrifice and bought a hardtop (a TRUE sports GT) 6 speed in '94. The cars were misunderstood, sold very poorly, and didn't catch on until it was far too late for Toyco USA.

Don't hold your breath on a "new" Supra. It will not be anything like the cars of the past.
Also, toyota won't be producing a turbocharged passenger vehicle to the general public EVER AGAIN. this was stated months ago by toyota CEOs themselves. supposidly, they decided on this because they want to go "green" from now on. so no more turbo wishes for this potential vehicle... this was already discussed in the toyotanation.com forums a while back. hence the next possible supra would undoubtly stick with a v8 ,or v6, or both- never again a 2jz, nevertheless the twin-turbo inline-6 2jz motor.

And on another note, that $80,000 car talk is probably the lexus lf-a concept. that's the car that toyota is goin crazy about.. with the possibility of a v10/v8 configuration, ridiculous top speed, and supercar status, but not to be mistaken as the "next" supra.

And on another note (wat the heck haha), did they just say that this concept would compete with the z4 and s2000? that's like a no-no. if supra is supposed to follow where it left off, it should compete with the 350z. we already have the new IS to compete with the g35, so that is somewhat taken care of.[/b]

Quick Reply: The rebirth of Supra