Notices
Toyota Supra 5th-Gen 2008- Supercar

The rebirth of Supra

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ Bingo........and sexy as brooke burke oiled down, wearing nothing but leather heels

p.s. reffereing to the ability to rev, i wasnt talking about responsiveness, i was talking about the rev limit. F-1 cars with V8's would make around 700+ hp, but at about 15-20k rpm right?? We are talking about affordability here, and if you gotta make a V8 rev high, it WILL cost you. Thats the point
Old 12-05-2005, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The ability to rev high doesn't really matter much with higher displacement engines. As long as the engine has a good power curve, the transmission is going to be geared to match it. That's not to say V8s can't rev high. Look at the new Z06.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboCustomz
It seems that all the cars that have been brought back and remade fall short from the original. Look at the MR2 for example. 130hp of ugliness. Thanks Toyota.
It seems like everyone is forgetting that the "Legends" are far from the original. The original MR-2 was lithe and manueverable. I believe it also had a 4AG, like the Trueno, and a supercharged version. If anything, the MKII MR-2 turbo is the most out of character. It's the heaviest and most unsprightly model, but yet it remains the model that marks the Toyota MR-2 as a legendary Japanese sports car. Probably because it has beautifully classic lines and a high horsepower engine with much more potential, but the truth is that the 3rd generation MR-2 Spyder holds truest to the original form. The 2nd gen and 3rd gen are VERY different cars, but you have to drive them both to understand their underlying concepts. Sure, the MR-2 Spyder is a little slow to accelerate, but it's still an ultra-lightweight midship roadster that is extremely flingable. In my opinion, there is nothing else out there like this car, except for the Lotus Elise. One of the major modifications to a 3rd gen MR-2 is to do a 2ZZ/6sp swap that completely changes the characteristics of the car. Under valve lift, that thing has an aggressive tendency to thrown out the rear end, but the linearity and throttle response of an NA engine gives it a very distinctive advantage on tight courses. I understand the 3rd gen, but I have to say that the 2nd generation MR-2 turbo is the one I fell in love with.

Back on topic, you have to remember that the "legendary" Supra twin turbo is not the original Supra. In my opinion, the original Supras were pieces of crap and the newer ones were far from affordable. Back in the days when it was new, the Supra twin turbo with the targa top was more expensive than a BMW, but it was a very definitive sports car. My coworker has a meticulously cared for twin turbo that never leaves the garage, but I've seen someone in a Modena tell him that his car is beautiful.

If they make a new Supra, it might be better, but it might be worse. Either way, it's not the only Supra. If it's better, it will become the new legend. If it's worse, then the MKIV Supra will live on... Why bother arguing about what Toyota is going to release. Like Nissan and the GT-R, Toyota can't afford to mess this one up.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While you are right about the Legends not being the original, I think his point is still somewhat valid, though debatable.

While he has a good point there are several exceptions to the rule. The new Mustang is hailed as the best car Ford has ever built, despite not having an IRS. The new MX-5 is superior to the previous incarnations, except perhaps the Mazdaspeed Miata, in almost every way. There isn't a new Mazdaspeed version to compare against the old, but when there is, it will certainly be better. The GTO is an amazing, and underrated machine. It may not have the "look" people were expecting, and it is based on the Monaro but that doesn't stop it from being a great car. Also, while being a previous 300zx owner I will certainly agree the 350z isn't as good as the Z32TT, it is close. And it is *waaaaaaaaaaaay* cheaper.

I also think the RX-8 is a better car than the FD RX-7. It's much nicer inside, more reliable, much cheaper, and more spacious. While it's straightline performance is nowhere near the FD, in the corners it's handling is extremely good. It doesn't quite beat the FD, it is acknowledged by owners of both that the 8 is far easier to drive at the limit. It's handling is more stable, and you have a linear powerband and aren't fighting the boost in the corners. Now don't get me wrong, the FD is my dream car. If I had the money to maintain it, I would much rather own one than an RX-8. But only as a weekend driver and track car. To actually daily drive, I'd rather own an 8.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's funny because my sister's boyfriend has an RX-8 that's been through two engines already... of course, there are always exceptions. I think he just abuses his car.

I actually own a Mazdaspeed MX-5, so there have been numerous comparisons between the 2006 MX-5 and the Mazdaspeed. Having driven both, they are also very different cars, but with the same soul that embodies the "jinba ittai" experience. I prefer the boosted version myself. I have just always been partial to turbocharged cars.

Even though the Legend isn't the original, there is a reason why it became a Legend. That's probably another reason that the original car is usually not the legendary model. The original car starts as a concept, but through trial and error (and many iterations), perfection is born. There are few sports cars that hold the test of time. Many are created, but only some are remembered. The definitive Supra, I think is the MKIV. It's the sexiest, the most classic, and the most desirable for me. I just don't find anything desirable about the earlier model years.

With Mazda, there were TONS of rotary powered sports cars, but the FD is the one that I find most desirable. There are a ton of great things about the FD, but one thing that sticks out is that it's drop dead @#$! sexy. The FC looks nice and the RX-8 looks nice too, but when you see an FD with a flawless paintjob, you'll take a double take.

This was just a random post, but now it's making me think that another factor in how "legendary" a car becomes is how sexy it is.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skunk
I could care less what engine it has in it as long as it has a good weight distribution/handling, relatively low weight, and a bucket of power.
Isn't that what we all want? Sadly that isn't any Supra after the MkII. They were all pigs starting with the MkIII, and even the MkIV NA tipped the scales over 3200 lbs.. It's also pretty likely whatever the new car is, it won't be super light, but it will have decent power.

I completely agree with the comments about a boosted V-8. No way. Ever. Also, no need.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lo_bux_racer
Originally Posted by Skunk
I could care less what engine it has in it as long as it has a good weight distribution/handling, relatively low weight, and a bucket of power.
Isn't that what we all want? Sadly that isn't any Supra after the MkII. They were all pigs starting with the MkIII, and even the MkIV NA tipped the scales over 3200 lbs.. It's also pretty likely whatever the new car is, it won't be super light, but it will have decent power.

I completely agree with the comments about a boosted V-8. No way. Ever. Also, no need.
I agree with you.

I have a feeling that Toyota will try to compete with the 350z, audi tt, G35 so on. Its going to be heavy i'm sure.

Cya
Old 12-10-2005, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not always the weight, its how the car handles it. The MKIV was much heavier then the LS1 Camaro's, but at the same power levels, the MKIV will hand it its butt.

I definatly agree that the MKIV's were needlessly heavy. Having one apart, im not even really sure were all the weight comes from.

Charles
Old 12-12-2005, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's why I said "relatively" low weight. And part of the reason why the Mark IV was a pig were the targa tops. Same with the 300ZX. I don't any reason why a modern Supra couldn't be in the target weight of about 2900-3200 pounds. That's no lightweight, but it is reasonably good for a grand touring sports car.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboCustomz
It's not always the weight, its how the car handles it. The MKIV was much heavier then the LS1 Camaro's, but at the same power levels, the MKIV will hand it its butt.

I definatly agree that the MKIV's were needlessly heavy. Having one apart, im not even really sure were all the weight comes from.

Charles
The lighter the car is with an ideal suspension set up, the better its going to handle. A heavy car is not going to handle as well, too much weight being slung around and eventually loss of traction.

Which is why you rarely see any supras at autocross events. You usually see them in drag and drift. And supra's aren't that great at drifting compared to others IMO.

Cya