Supra again

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

compared to:

I hope Toyota isn't serious Cause the Mitsu was fugly enough as is

>I agree with Hotbox05 about having a hybrid supra - That would seriously be weak - Even ones without a turbo are questionable<

What i meant with the Volta was Strictly Styling. Performance is on a whole different level~
Old 01-25-2006, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hm... Looky here:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery...lta/volca.html
However, I've also found this:

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring...s/2_11_toy.htm Don't like this ones style
Toyota is keeping things Top Secret (which is a good thing in my opinion) (keep the biters out of here).
Old 01-25-2006, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by R2D2
I was hoping for something with this concept in mind~
Thats a toyota concept car.

From toyota...

"In 1800, Alessandro Volta arranged zinc and copper discs in a column and invented the battery.
204 years later, Toyota has electrified automotive history with the first high-performance
hybrid, named in his honor. The Giugiaro-designed carbon-fiber body seats three people
abreast and features "drive-by-wire" controls, allowing you to position the steering wheel and
pedals in front of any one of them. And the Volta's 408-hp Hybrid Synergy Drive® (a 3.3-liter
V6 with an electric motor for each axle) not only delivers 435 miles on a 13.7-gallon tank,
but 0-60 acceleration in a mere four seconds. Somewhere, Count Volta is smiling."

More pics:

Old 01-25-2006, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Artur
I was hoping for something with this concept in mind~
Thats a toyota concept car.

From toyota...

"In 1800, Alessandro Volta arranged zinc and copper discs in a column and invented the battery.
204 years later, Toyota has electrified automotive history with the first high-performance
hybrid, named in his honor. The Giugiaro-designed carbon-fiber body seats three people
abreast and features "drive-by-wire" controls, allowing you to position the steering wheel and
pedals in front of any one of them. And the Volta's 408-hp Hybrid Synergy Drive® (a 3.3-liter
V6 with an electric motor for each axle) not only delivers 435 miles on a 13.7-gallon tank,
but 0-60 acceleration in a mere four seconds. Somewhere, Count Volta is smiling."

More pics:

"...Toyota is also said to be working on a proper supercar: a limited-production exotic codenamed TXS, with a mid-mounted 5.4 V10 delivering 500bhp and 370lb ft. Weighing under 1350kg, it should offer 0-60 mph acceleration in well under 4 seconds and a good 190mph. Should it ever go to production, this could well be more like the Volta than the more mainstream car snapped here. In the meantime, the smaller 'Supra' is expected to appear at the Tokyo Motor Show next autumn..."
I just hope the next gen Supra will share "some" design features (specifically the headlights in my opinion) with the volta instead of ...
Fugly tail
Old 01-25-2006, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hm... Looky here:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery...lta/volca.html
However, I've also found this:

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring...s/2_11_toy.htm Don't like this ones style
Toyota is keeping things Top Secret (which is a good thing in my opinion) (keep the biters out of here).

That there at the top would be the Lexus LF-A undergoing testing, nothing else.

The one below is the FXS concept, which debuted in 2001 and {thank God} didnt make it to production looking like it did. 1300kg weight + Lexus V8 combo was nice. I think this has some relation to the SC430 which came out that same year...not too sure though
Old 01-25-2006, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

compared to:

I hope Toyota isn't serious Cause the Mitsu was fugly enough as is

>I agree with Hotbox05 about having a hybrid supra - That would seriously be weak - Even ones without a turbo are questionable<

What i meant with the Volta was Strictly Styling. Performance is on a whole different level~
i think it looks more like a mercedes kompressor than an eclipse
Old 01-26-2006, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

........indeed a nasty rumor
Old 01-26-2006, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I retract my statement:
After taking a deeper look ..."And the Volta's 408-hp Hybrid Synergy Drive® (a 3.3-liter V6 with an electric motor for each axle) not only delivers 435 miles on a 13.7-gallon tank, but 0-60 acceleration in a mere four seconds. Somewhere, Count Volta is smiling."..
408-hp @ 32mpg 0-60mph =>4sec
Numbers every1 loves to see are Wins = Performance
Old 01-26-2006, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the volta's system is nowhere near production ready. it'd be nice . but are people in general ready for hybrid supercars? i think their new 4.6 v8 and 3.5 v6 will be a much better platform for the supra.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even so, who could really afford a hybrid supercar? I find it funny that car companies are trying to build a high performanced sports or super car when people complain about gas prices as it is.

But if that's the next Supra, I wouldn't mind driving that
Old 01-26-2006, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

You'd have to wonder about the battery life of a super car hybrid. Lithium Ion technology is just not there yet. . . they still have a predetermined maximum number of charge cycles (and I'm NOT talking about charge "memory"). If you were driving on a road course (and braking appropriately to recharge the hybrid system), you would probably go through quite a few charge cycles, to say the least.

Furthermore, if you were to attempt a top speed run (without ever braking from 0 to top speed), I'm not sure you'd be able to reach maximum speeds. . . it would undoubtedly need electric motor assistance to reach maximum speed, but I'm not sure how quickly that would drain the battery. Once drained, the net HP would decrease, as would your top speed.

In a racing/sports car application, I'm not sure a hybrid system is a wise choice. In the world of sports car, MPG is absolutely irrelavent (unless you're talking about endurance racing / professional racing). However, for a day to day sporty car, it would be a great way to balance efficiency and power.

I'd much rather see a hybrid power enhancer on lower end sporty cars, for those who want power but don't want to compromise MPG. If and when I can afford a $90,000+ sports car, I'm not going to moan over a few thousand dollars' worth of gasoline. If I were THAT wealthy and were THAT cheap, I'd just buy an EVO or an Sti and go mod crazy. . . and save me $40,000 or so.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

there ya go sid. good thinking.

to be a good supercar hybrid you would need the higher hp motor to start with then add hybrid boost. lol .

and the batteries are stated by toyota to live the life of the car a minimum of 15 years or so toyota spews at us.

theres first gen prius with close to 300,000 miles on original batteries , original gas motor and original synergy drive.

in a well made hybrid car the battery's dont go thru cycles. after a certain point they get recharged thru the cvt and the gas motor's power getting split between recharging and driving the wheels.

the batterie's never get deep cycled. they are also kept analy cool as to not overheat and prematurely die.

just trying to share some info
Old 01-26-2006, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
You'd have to wonder about the battery life of a super car hybrid.
...In a racing/sports car application, I'm not sure a hybrid system is a wise choice. In the world of sports car, MPG is absolutely irrelavent (unless you're talking about endurance racing / professional racing). However, for a day to day sporty car, it would be a great way to balance efficiency and power.

I'd much rather see a hybrid power enhancer on lower end sporty cars, for those who want power but don't want to compromise MPG. If and when I can afford a $90,000+ sports car, I'm not going to moan over a few thousand dollars' worth of gasoline...
I agree.
Hydrogen any1
Old 01-26-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your looking an easy 40K just stock
Plus, the release won't be for a long time

I'm sticking with my tC
Old 01-26-2006, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the volta's system is nowhere near production ready....
The system in the Volta is virtually identical to the one going to be used in the GS450h, isnt it?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

gs 450h? let me read up on it and see.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes i was rite whatever i said before mixed with an eclipse
Old 01-27-2006, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by hotbox05
there ya go sid. good thinking.

to be a good supercar hybrid you would need the higher hp motor to start with then add hybrid boost. lol .

and the batteries are stated by toyota to live the life of the car a minimum of 15 years or so toyota spews at us.

theres first gen prius with close to 300,000 miles on original batteries , original gas motor and original synergy drive.

in a well made hybrid car the battery's dont go thru cycles. after a certain point they get recharged thru the cvt and the gas motor's power getting split between recharging and driving the wheels.

the batterie's never get deep cycled. they are also kept analy cool as to not overheat and prematurely die.

just trying to share some info
Didn't know that batteries were that tough! If they can last 300k on Prius then 100K on a sports car should be doable. I'm just imagining how fast those charging cycles are going to be from drain to charge.

Do you know if they use Li Ion batteries in the hybrid? I thought Li-Ion's were not affected by deep cycling, but have a predetermined number of "cycles," or "equivalent" cycles. . . like an iPod's battery. But I'm guessing they aren't Li-Ion's in the hybrid.

Ok nevermind. . . they Prius uses Ni-MH.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

DUH!. do some research first sid. lol. just playin with ya man.