Notices
Website Discussion Problem? Let us know about it here...

Attachment icon for 56K users?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Attachment icon for 56K users?

A majority of us probably have high speed, but for those who still look for the "56K Go eat a sammich" this may be helpful.

Not every thread with photos attached has that warning on it. Perhaps a small little icon would help. Please allow me to demonstrate.

Get the Idea?

Also, this would help with people who are only looking for pictures, as well as shortening the post topic so people don't always need to include the "56K Stab your eye out with a fork" or "Pics, 56k Beware."
Old 01-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That would be helpful, but at this time we don't have an attachment mod built into the forums. That means that images are linked from outside the forums, not attached to topics. There is no way for us to automatically check whether a topic has images in it or not.

In other words... imagine an email. You can attach images to an email and your mail reader will indicate that an image is attached. BUT, you can also use HTML in the email to show an image residing somewhere else on the web. Your mail reader wouldn't show the image as an attachment because it isn't "riding" with the email. That is how the ScionLife forums work... code just makes an image appear in the post, but the image isn't actually attached to that post so there is no way for the software to determine if an image is being displayed or not.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionlife
There is no way for us to automatically check whether a topic has images in it or not.
Even if there was a server-side script designed to hunt for the "img" tag in the posts?
Old 01-31-2006, 02:42 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That is possible... but it would pick up ANY img tag, even if it is a little image. And it would have to search every reply in the thead... it would be an additional server resource used that we don't really have to spare.

It is a good idea, but wouldn't be easy or reliable to implement at this time. I am going to concentrate on other ideas that will help the site more before I tackle that one.

Please don't be discouraged, though, I love to hear new ideas!